Discuss shower isolation switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bob the builder

Hi, looking for some advice about a shower isolation switch and if I can get rid of it. Its a pull switch which has been on since we bought the place a year ago. Doing the bathroom up now and plastering the ceiling so want rid of it. Could I use terminal blocks in the loft or is there a better way? Thanks

On the basis you no longer have a shower the appropriate way to safely terminate an unused cable would be to switch off the mcb, remove the switch and fit a 60 amp junction box.

On the basis you no longer have a shower the appropriate way to safely terminate an unused cable would be to switch off the mcb, remove the switch and fit a 60 amp junction box.

I still have the shower. I find the isolator pointless as it has never been used in a year and is an eye sore. Thought I could just reverse it so the switch is in the loft then it can be isolated if need be one time or can be brought back down in to the bathroom when we sell

Its there for safe isolation and maintenance, and should be readily accessible. I agree that they are an eyesore, but you need one unfortunately. You could place it out of the room, on the landing (not a pull switch, a 50 DP switch), airing cupboards are also convenient as well, as long as the dont get too hot. But if it is in the loft, you may not be able to get to it quickly enough if something goes wrong.

Cheers.............Howard

I don't particularly like em either, but at the end of the day you need one. I fitted a DP switch just outside my bathroom door in my own house. perhaps this option would suit you better OP?

Ah but if you already have a shower and a pull switch I doubt very much there will be enough cable to relocate the switch!

Ah but if you already have a shower and a pull switch I doubt very much there will be enough cable to relocate the switch!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Murdoch is right, everything is already in place. Think I might get a bit of external trunk to go on bathroom ceiling and just add some more cable to what is coming down from the loft and take it along ceiling, through the wall (sheet of paper, new build init) and have it outside the bathroom up near the ceiling using a switch like suggested.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Murdoch is right, everything is already in place. Think I might get a bit of external trunk to go on bathroom ceiling and just add some more cable to what is coming down from the loft and take it along ceiling, through the wall (sheet of paper, new build init) and have it outside the bathroom up near the ceiling using a switch like suggested.

So instead of an "ugly" switch you want to add trunking??

Reply to shower isolation switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net