Discuss Socket height debate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Ok , I know the regs say 450mm minimum from floor but on the job I am on at the moment the site agent is wanting the sockets at 40mm centres.

After stating that they should be ae at 450mm to bottom he said they will be at 400mm centre end of story

If its a new install in an existing building (rewire) then the 450 and 1200 rule dont count mate.....so just do as he says as he sounds a bit of a "do it or else" kind of bloke....

Wire to spec and make sure you keep a copy of spec/drawing

Applies to all jobs you carry out, if anything ever arises you have that backup

Ive come across people before who have digitally altered drawings to get themselves out of a situation, quite funny as i had hold of the original

What's the reason for being so stubborn about insisting on having the sockets 10cm or so lower than recommended?
Fair enough you can 'cave in' this time, but if this is one of those "do as I say" types there'll be something else sooner or later.

Started a job today moving loads of sockets up from the skirting boards, customer asked me what height I will put the sockets to because he's been told it has to be 450mm. Not a new build so any height he wants above 100mm (my rule of thumb reg, no strain on the flex). Customer happy at 200mm, I'm happy less chasing to do :).

The words in Part M say something like "one way to satisfy the requirements is to ...." so in theory it's not a hard and fast rule regarding the heights, but you try getting that past the BCO. :)

Just keep a copy of the written instructions and you are covered for the work you have done. If LABC won't then sign off on it overall, it's not down to you. You have advised him of the regulation and he's specified what he wants.

Ok , I know the regs say 450mm minimum from floor but on the job I am on at the moment the site agent is wanting the sockets at 40mm centres.

After stating that they should be ae at 450mm to bottom he said they will be at 400mm centre end of story

If the building is NOT new or undergoing refurbishment then as everyone has stated you are not tied to the MINIMUM of 450mm.

One thing that puts me off of this though is the attitude of the site agent? Have you rubbed shoulders previously? ;) Also, out of interest... who's name will be on the certificate when the job is completed?

:thumbsup

He's obviously 2" shorter than the average man in the power department. Complex.

This subject has been beaten and beaten its getting like the 17th 16th edition thing 17th only applies to work DESIGNED after 2008
socket heights are only applicable for new builds and extensivly restructured DOMESTIC premisis from what I gather AGAIN Im so glad I dont do much domestic

This subject has been beaten and beaten its getting like the 17th 16th edition thing 17th only applies to work DESIGNED after 2008
socket heights are only applicable for new builds and extensivly restructured DOMESTIC premisis from what I gather AGAIN Im so glad I dont do much domestic
Oh i dont know mogga....its still got a bit to go yet before it catches up with "exported pme"...lol.....:53:

no need to follow the 450mm rule in an existing building. Due to my height restraints I like to have sockets as low as possible. Light switches too. thanks

Reply to Socket height debate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net