Discuss Sockets & Sinks - The Law? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm renting a flat and just before I moved in the landlord got some cowboys in to tosh up the paint work, lay some cheap vinyl flooring and a new kitchen was installed. However, the kitchen wiring is a concern. In summary, fridge, washing machine, oven, hob and extractor are all running from the oven switch, via cables, through junction boxes to extensions etc. All laid under the kitchen units, in a galley style layout. The fridge and washing machine are plugged into a twin socket extension lead positioned directly under the sink and the cupboard beneath.

Please can someone advise me whether this is against Building Regs, H&S etc.

Despite the original extension overloading and the fuse of the washing machine blowing, the landlords electrician replaced the extension like for like.

Plus, I've yet to see an Electrical Safety Certificate....I've asked, asked, asked again....

Sockets & Sinks - The Law? 20181208_084217~2 - EletriciansForums.net

complete bodge. get the buggers back to do it right.
Any paper work issued by Bob the Builder? do what Tel suggests, get the Butcher back to do the install correctly, if no action I would suggest Trading standards as your first port of call, the job is a complete bodge up. a disgrace, if you get nil joy with TS, name and shame the Builder.

Hi Susie,
you are quite correct to be concerned. First you should voice your concerns with the landlord.
Put it in writing. Keep it polite and to the point. Just state you are concerned with the wiring and want reasurance that all is safe. Keep a copy of letter.

Next stage if things are not rectified. Contact local authority.

Don't delay in this, do it straight away. Give your landlord a little time to respond and rectify. If nothing has happened in 3 weeks then contact local authority.

Your land lord has a legal duty of care to ensure the property is safe for occupation.

Good luck.

The “extension” that has been replaced looks like a proper 13A socket, on a pattress box and fed by 2.5mm t&e
Apart from it being untidy, not secure and not in the right place, electrically, it will cope fine with a fridge freezer and washing machine plugged in.

The original might have just been old, and socket didn’t have a good grip of the plug pin.

How do you mean, supplied from the oven switch?

Is there an electrician you know or someone that can have a look at it for you, to give you an idea of what to say to the landlord?

Littlespark got it spot-on.
The local authority are not usually even mildly interested...unless bodies are being removed :eek: and would literally allow socket outlets to be mounted IN the sink....as long as it was above the overflow ;)

I'm renting a flat and just before I moved in the landlord got some cowboys in to tosh up the paint work, lay some cheap vinyl flooring and a new kitchen was installed. However, the kitchen wiring is a concern. In summary, fridge, washing machine, oven, hob and extractor are all running from the oven switch, via cables, through junction boxes to extensions etc. All laid under the kitchen units, in a galley style layout. The fridge and washing machine are plugged into a twin socket extension lead positioned directly under the sink and the cupboard beneath.

Please can someone advise me whether this is against Building Regs, H&S etc.

Despite the original extension overloading and the fuse of the washing machine blowing, the landlords electrician replaced the extension like for like.

Plus, I've yet to see an Electrical Safety Certificate....I've asked, asked, asked again....

View attachment 48368

Sorry to have to break it to you lass...but your landlord's a cheapskate...

As has been said...get it in writing to him...
Keep a copy of any letters you send...

Thanks guys. So it's generally poor, shoddy, cheapness. Yet its not technically breaking the law?? Am I right?

If your flat is not purpose built it might be classed as a HMO (Housing act 2004-Part3). If it is, your landlord must have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). If not, it's not legally required now, but will be for all new tenancies later this year and all tenancies next year. Ask your local HMO officer if you are not sure, it's different in each council. Being curious by nature, he might want to take a look.
Another good bit of legislation is the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, which came into force on 20 March 2019.
This will help stop landlords renting unfit properties.

Reply to Sockets & Sinks - The Law? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock