Discuss Soladin 600 - Does it have an Isolating Transformer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cookiemonster

Hi All, I've looked in the destruction manual for Soladin 600 and there doesn't seem to be any mention of an isolating transformer. I've got my MCS assessment on thursday. I've already bonded my array back to M.E.T. in case it isn't an isolating transformer but it would be nice to know for sure in the assessor asks me what type of inverter I have! I can find scant little info on mastervolts website. I've even opened it up and there is a transformer insider but only a little'un and i'n not sure if it's safe to assume that it is an isolating transformer. I've also asked Segen who I bought it from and they say that it has an HF transformer but were'nt sure if this was the same thing as an isolating transformer.

Any enlittenment would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware the Soladin 600 is not a transformerless inverter so you should be ok - however, I'd be careful about bonding the main array. Are you sure your system isn't PME? If it is then you might get picked up on it.

Hi Biggs. thanks again for the reply - the supply is definately TNS (grotty PILC cable) not TNCS / PME. Bit confused though as to why array bonding is an issue with PME? If I could find a definative statement from the mastervolt stating whether or not the Soladin is transformerless or not (and confirming that it was) I would just remove it. Their documention seems a bit lacking!

If you're on TNS, I shouldn't worry about it. Doesn't hurt to give technical a ring though.

Bonding is an issue with PME because you're taking an earth outside of the equipotential zone. In theory it could be dangerous if there were a fault on the incomer cable as you could create a new earth path. If I'm honest, I've never truly understood what IS and what ISN'T permissable with regards to equipment outside of an EZ on a PME.

They have a small galvanic transformer which we have found lets an ac voltage onto the dc side, so we were advised to bond regardless

Reply to Soladin 600 - Does it have an Isolating Transformer? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net