Discuss Solar Edge Help Please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I used to install 100's of solar edge system , now if you go into your portal you should have a icon called charts IF ONLY your installer set you up as an advanced user, you can check graphs such as voltage, AC & DC currents etc etc for each panel. this may give you more ideas. a PO cost about £35 ex VAT so that is the cheapest solution. or swap OA around see if when you swap one for the faulty one does the panel with the suspected faulty OA start to under perform , The big problem is roof access I guess ... if it was me I would just max the life out of the panel and when it does start to make a big loss then get a panel that looks similar and swap it. you can mix and match panels with solar edge. upgrading the firmware from solar edge wont do anything or repairing them to the system.

This is what is confusing, 8 45 this morning a little sun, the panel only generating half of the others facing that way, strange, even though it is not a lot of sun the difference shows itself straight away.

Hi Everyone again,
Solar Edge have now informed me they think it is a faulty panel, the Sun has bee out a couple of mornings and the panel dropped off again.
So the next thing is to ask if anyone locally would be able to replace the panel I would hope Consumer Protection Association would help with the payment, but the first step is to get a quote, I have really appreciated the help and advice from this forum and hope somebody would be able to help, I live 4 miles outside Bath.
Thank you again for all your help up to now.

Dazzapsj.

before you do all that, please just can you post up a close up picture of the panel and panels around it.

Sounds to me like what I'd expect to see with a panel experiencing shading - which can come from the panels closest to it if they're not levelled properly.

We were still being offered Siliken panels back in June, so there may be some stocks available. you have the advantage that with Solar Edge, panel compatibility isn't an issue :)

Not sure who on this forum covers the Bath area, BruceB might...

Replacing it will be an expensive operation - scaffolding, time, travel, reconfig, the panel cost will be negligible in comparison.

As GavinA says, we really do need to rule out every other possibilty first. (Loose connection? )

The Solar Edge guy stated
Its look like an issue with the panel the optimizer measure at the input of the optimizer a lower current readings in compere to its neighbor.
I have no shading issues I have checked this and no shading, I really do not know where to start, as stated by Worcester that if it is a loose connector how do I know, any guidance form the forum would be really appreciated. Did Siliken leave any funds for Customer Warranties ? I have looked and cannot find anything, unsure of what the next sensible step should be.
Thanks Dazzapsj

Hi All,
So nobody has been in touch or posted about my problem, so does anyone have any ideas what to do, I have had an email from Solar Edge saying only approved Solar Edge Installers can work on the problem or else my warranty with them is void, but no Solar Edge Installers seem interested either because not enough profit or where I live, I was just hoping for guidance from someone out there, as now I am clueless.
Thanks
Dazzapsj

If it ain't shading, then it still looks to me as if something is causing a bypass diode to operate - this would happen in bright sunshine, not in cloud as the bypass diodes have a minimum level of differential between the 3 strings of cells in the panel before they will activate.

Could possibly be a badly mismatched panel, with cells in the different strings being so badly mismatched that it triggers the bypass diodes at high generation levels, or faulty bypass diodes or both.

This sort of thing would match with the details given, in terms of the problem not showing itself at low output levels, but showing up at higher output levels.

Reply to Solar Edge Help Please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net