Discuss Sorry mods, but I just couldn't help but post this: in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How is this a result of the bedroom tax?
Quick history lesson for you,during the 30's there was mass unemployment and thousands of men were out of work,hundreds would wait outside the factory gates every morning in the hope of getting one of the five or six jobs that may be going,men walked the streets with placards around their necks begging for work,and this was well before the bedroom tax,

Someone in the Mirror is telling porky pies as the second link is upto £230

That's his second time at it, if you read the original story it says he went and did whatever the job was for £10.50

IF of course all this is totally accurate at face value, then I just feel sorry for the guy as he's clearly trying and making the effort unlike so many.

Agree with Rock, if you actually read the links you will see it is the second time, he actually did the 40 hours work he promised for the original 10.50 he recieved, the man is genuine and trying to earn a living, he is obviously no layabout.

A woman who lives near us did the sandwich board thing up and down what passes for a high street in our depressing toilet of a town. She didn't get a single offer despite getting in the local paper and regional radio shows.

Fair enough if that is what these people want to do, but in this day and age there really is no need for it.
Whenever one of these stories gets in the tabloids it's always clear where they've gone wrong - the guy who put himself on ebay just smacks of desperation - he wants an employer to give him a job out of pity when what they probably want is someone who will be good at the job, which is what he'd do well to sell himself as.

Go into an employment agency and as for "just a job, any job" and they'll tell you they haven't got any jobs, but give them a clear idea of what kind of job you want and they'll sit down and spend time with you trying to find you something. It's the same with employers - they want their employees to have a passion and enthusiasm for the job, not just turn up every day because they have to. Some of these jobseekers complain that they've done management jobs but "can't even get a fast food job"; again the employer wants someone who wants to be doing the job and appreciates it, not someone who sees it as a poxy entry level job which is beneath them. Very few bosses like to think of their shop floor as a 'sweat shop'.

I did a day's agency work with this guy who was an electrical engineer back in his country but even after applying for over 1000 jobs couldn't even get a day doing menial cable pulling here. He seemed to be implying the employers were all just racist, but I tactfully suggested it could be a problem with something else, like his CV. His CV was 8 pages. I pointed out that that was probably the problem but he wasn't prepared to listen.

If someone really is prepared to do "any job" as they claim, and they haven't had a response after 1000 applications they're clearly doing something wrong. It probably isn't difficult to see what that is, and that should be the job of the Jobcentre to point out.

nothing reinforces bad luck and hard times more than a fast approaching xmas you cant pay for.......

i never judge anyone on the choices they make to get by.

Fair enough if that is what these people want to do, but in this day and age there really is no need for it.
Whenever one of these stories gets in the tabloids it's always clear where they've gone wrong - the guy who put himself on ebay just smacks of desperation - he wants an employer to give him a job out of pity when what they probably want is someone who will be good at the job, which is what he'd do well to sell himself as.

Go into an employment agency and as for "just a job, any job" and they'll tell you they haven't got any jobs, but give them a clear idea of what kind of job you want and they'll sit down and spend time with you trying to find you something. It's the same with employers - they want their employees to have a passion and enthusiasm for the job, not just turn up every day because they have to. Some of these jobseekers complain that they've done management jobs but "can't even get a fast food job"; again the employer wants someone who wants to be doing the job and appreciates it, not someone who sees it as a poxy entry level job which is beneath them. Very few bosses like to think of their shop floor as a 'sweat shop'.

I did a day's agency work with this guy who was an electrical engineer back in his country but even after applying for over 1000 jobs couldn't even get a day doing menial cable pulling here. He seemed to be implying the employers were all just racist, but I tactfully suggested it could be a problem with something else, like his CV. His CV was 8 pages. I pointed out that that was probably the problem but he wasn't prepared to listen.

If someone really is prepared to do "any job" as they claim, and they haven't had a response after 1000 applications they're clearly doing something wrong. It probably isn't difficult to see what that is, and that should be the job of the Jobcentre to point out.

Whilst I agree that the 'scatter gun' approach can be counter-productive, if you live in a restrictive geography (like I would guess Pontypridd) and there simply isn't the opportunity, and for whatever reason it's just not viable to move out of the area, then what's a chap to do? You either sit back waiting for the weekly giro and some good luck, or you try to make your own luck - as he is.

I'm not knocking him for trying to get a job, or even for thinking outside the box if he so wishes, but there are certain set 'rules' for getting a job, like dressing smart for an interview even if it doesn't require it. If he can't get 'any job' he's doing something 'wrong'.
I'm pretty sure HR departments don't recruit by driving around looking for people wearing sandwich boards or people auctioning themselves on ebay for a 'pity job.' These methods will only appeal to a specific range of employers who applaud thinking outside the box, which despite their claims most do not.

This guy might be desperate, but an employer doesn't want to see that - they're more likely to want someone with dignity.

So what could he do? Well I don't know what he's tried already, but maybe his CV could do with a tune-up, maybe he could draw up a 'hit-list' of companies to target with a covering letter and CV tailored to that job or company, maybe get dressed up in his best suit and knock on their doors. Maybe decide which company he wants to work for, find out as much as he can about them and pester them until they give him a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not knocking him for trying to get a job, or even for thinking outside the box if he so wishes, but there are certain set 'rules' for getting a job, like dressing smart for an interview even if it doesn't require it. If he can't get 'any job' he's doing something 'wrong'.
I'm pretty sure HR departments don't recruit by driving around looking for people wearing sandwich boards or people auctioning themselves on ebay for a 'pity job.' These methods will only appeal to a specific range of employers who applaud thinking outside the box, which despite their claims most do not.

This guy might be desperate, but an employer doesn't want to see that - they're more likely to want someone with dignity.

So what could he do? Well I don't know what he's tried already, but maybe his CV could do with a tune-up, maybe he could draw up a 'hit-list' of companies to target with a covering letter and CV tailored to that job or company, maybe get dressed up in his best suit and knock on their doors. Maybe decide which company he wants to work for, find out as much as he can about them and pester them until they give him a job.
Although having a bit of sympathy put aside,due to not knowing these peoples individual circumstances,i tend to agree with the above. Doing what Adam suggests,takes thought,time and effort. The exact requirements i would be looking for,in somebody asking me directly for a start. ...and why do the sandwich board thing?...i thought Farce-book solved all modern social ills...:conehead:

Either the guy is really desperate and doing absolutely everything he can to improve his lot or his a very wily so and so that deliberately engineered a scenario that he knew would appeal to local press and tabloids and probably result in ...well ....a result. Either way I hope he gets some opportunities he otherwise wouldn't have done.

Reply to Sorry mods, but I just couldn't help but post this: in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net