Discuss Started my first rewire today. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manx1641

Well as above i started my first full rewire today, the house is an old victorian teress with an extention on the back, i was expecting to find old wiring through out the house and new coming from the extention, (kitchen and bath room)

when i got under the stairs i was greeted by two old rewireable fuse boards, one of which was fed through a contactor, which i later realised was for ecomonmy 7, there where 2 new twin and earth cables coming from one board and 4 from the other, i first asssumed the 2 new cables were the extension, but on closer inspection it turned out the board that was connected to the contactor was no longer used, so the new cables went nowhere, leaving just the small older board with it's 2 fuses supplying the whole house, it appears to have 2 lighting circuits coming from one fuse and all the sockets on a ring main, including the new kitchen on the other.

so much for an easy first job,

what i'm planning to do is remove the wiring to the disused board and economy 7 comtactor. run my new tails from the jb to my new consumer unit, keeping the old 2 fuse board in place as it's not a vacant possesion, they still need power, upgrade the earth cable to 16mm, to and from the met, then run my new circuits back to my new board, once i have the new sockets in place i'll pick apart the old circiut and seperate the kitchen, the kitchen and bathroom in the extension are not being rewired, but will hopefully be put on the new board, after i've done a periodic inspection,

can anyone see any problems with what i'm planning to do, or advise me on a better way,

cheers in advance.

ps, we looked into the downstairs floor void, which is big enough to walk through, there is a large single joist going from side to side which has been badly burnt at some time, it's nearly 9" thick and well charcoaled.

Reply to Started my first rewire today. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net