Discuss Storage heater not charging in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, hope someone can help or just shed some light. We recently moved into a property that uses storage heaters in the living room. Now it is getting cold we need to use them, however we discovered faults, electrician replaced a part and assured us everything was in order. Have serviced on turned input to high and output to low, however come the next morning they are stone cold. We have also noticed that our new smart meter seems to always be saying we're using extortionate amounts of electricity every day :( there's only two of us. It says we are using 49% of our electricity on heating, this cant be accurate!! I have attached files of fuse box and switches next to the tank any help or suggestions are welcome

Attachments

• IMG-20191207-WA0013.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20191207-WA0012.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 46
Wellcome , is the storage heaters on E7 and you say the heaters are stone cold when the spark serviced them did he verifed them on a seprate circuit .
I assume they are, we are currently on an economy 7 tariff but our our usage is like 83% daytime and 17% nighttime which leads me to assume something is definitely wrong. Unfortunately last time engineer was round neither of us were home. We are hoping the letting agent can get him over Monday

Is there a second consumer unit for the storage heaters?
Is that all the heating you have? Landlord has to ensure there is heating in your home.

There’s not much can go wrong if it’s just a standard storage heater.

Most storage heaters have a thermal cut-out inside that operates if they get too hot. Typically putting towels or wet clothes over the vents can cause the cut-out to operate.

I would normally test the circuit for a heater back to the E7 board, that there is continuity and I can see the heating element with a test meter. So that I am confident when the E7 power is on, the heater will heat up, and any switches, cut-outs, or wall switch are all OK.

What heaters are they? Had one this week that would give heat on demand but not storage heat, just needed thermostat resetting,

Slightly off topic but could be relevant i went out to a call the over day regarding high electric bills. Turned out they had a smart meter recently installed & they had wired the tails to henley blocks & supplied both the cu & e7 boards on the daytime feed. The e7 heaters were permanently being supplied as both switches were on.

Is that all the heating you have? Landlord has to ensure there is heating in your home.

We have 3 regular (?) heaters also.1 in each of the upstairs bedroom and one next to the kitchen and then the two storage heaters in the living room which is where we primarily spend time.
[automerge]1575759260[/automerge]

I am unsure of this im afraid. It is the primary source of heating for the living room
[automerge]1575759346[/automerge]
What heaters are they? Had one this week that would give heat on demand but not storage heat, just needed thermostat resetting,
[automerge]1575759448[/automerge]
Wellcome , is the storage heaters on E7 and you say the heaters are stone cold when the spark serviced them did he verifed them on a seprate circuit .
I am unsure. We are going to make sure one of us is home when he comes next

Attachments

• 15757592923103066805977050858294.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 15757593178621933625867177038930.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi,Eon has got form,for this type of set-up...

Do you know the allocated on/off times,for your E7,and is there another fuse/main switch,for the storage heaters?

Hi,Eon has got form,for this type of set-up...

Do you know the allocated on/off times,for your E7,and is there another fuse/main switch,for the storage heaters?
I ak unsure, i would assume it would be the usual from around midnight to 7am and no idea about other fuse switches just the main one in the entrance hall. What are eon known for?

Ok, we are now starting to get somewhere please do the following.
Take another photo of the fuse box /consumer unit, this time so we can read all the labels (stand on a step ladder) I would expect to find two fuse boxes / consumer units please look carefuly for another one.

Ok, we are now starting to get somewhere please do the following.
Take another photo of the fuse box /consumer unit, this time so we can read all the labels (stand on a step ladder) I would expect to find two fuse boxes / consumer units please look carefuly for another one.
have attached all that is around the fuse box

Attachments

• 20191208_203945.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191208_203952.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi,that looks like a pre-payment type meter,with timed,relay outputs,for that contactor below. I'm guessing you have not been hearing it "click" at the start and end,of your E7 period?

There should be another main switch and fuse box,between that timed output,and the storage heaters.

Your electrician should have isolated and tested,at this fuse box,regardless of the time of his visit.

I am not certain of Eon's set-up,with regards to charging....and your contract or bill,may shed little light...(been there...) but the meter would seem to switch the E7 heating on,during your allocated period,this would then still be metered,through the meter,but whether this is at the normal or a preferential rate...who would know? ;)

Sadly,attempting to furnish oneself,with the relevant information,from Eon,can prove..."testing",and i have in the past,had to hand out details and training,regarding almost every single part of their disjointed,shoddy service....to the point where i was drawing circuit diagrams,on box lids,for out-of-depth meter fitters....anywho:cool:

I would get someone clued up,to test your heater circuit and units,and triple check the meter arrangements,regarding actual payments,times and contract agreements.

The fact that you believe there is no functioning heating,yet the bill is increased,would be a good starting point.

Ok. The box with the switches are your normal power and lights.
The little box to the right I presume is the fuses for the storage heaters. These should have been checked by the electrician, even visually.
Do you have other storage heaters that do work?

What’s the brown liquid on the box? Looks like stale cola

Definitely haven't heard any clicking at any point, have absolutely no idea where secondary box is. Any clue what this is? We thought maybe for a security system we believe a previous tenant had

Attachments

• 15758386389801709877349145378101.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 17

Reply to Storage heater not charging in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net