Discuss Sunny Boy Inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

southgate

DIY
Reaction score
I have "grid failure, check fuse, 801" on my sunny boy inverter. I want to switch it all off and switch it back on again but cannot remember in which order I do this. There is a red knob to the left "solo pv system" and a black knob to the right "pv array". Which knob do I turn off first please and when I have left it for a while, which order do I turn the knobs back on. Thanks very much for any help, much appreciated.

The manual is vague, but the normal way is mains off (red) then DC off (black), then to switch on reverse the order, black on first red on second.

The manual is vague, but the normal way is mains off (red) then DC off (black), then to switch on reverse the order, black on first red on second.
Good Evening and thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Tomorrow I am going to see if the inverter will re-set itself after I switch it off and as you describe, I need to switch off the red ac isolator first then the black dc isolator. Leave for a few minutes then switch on the black dc isolator then the red ac isolator. I am hoping the problem will go away then because my installer has ceased trading. Do you know of anyone in the East Midlands who I would be able to contact if I get stuck? Thanks a lot.

Also check the circuit breakers are on at your consumer unit, as the fuse mentioned in the error is the one in your consumer unit.
I have turned everything off, left it 15 minutes and switched back on again. It still has the fault. I am not electrically minded so cannot check the circuit breakers but thanks for your help.

Time to contact a solar installer, do let us know the outcome!
I have contacted a co. who are mcs approved. I spoke to him on the phone and he said he would be here for an hour at £50. I jokingly said he could hurry and just take 30 mins at £25 or 15 minutes at £12.50 and we had a bit of a laugh about it. How long do you think it should take him to check out everything? Maybe he would detect the fault and if wiring, sort it whilst he is here and get it all back up and running.

First thing i would do is to check that the MCB supplying the inverter is switched on your only gettin that fault code during the day time when the panels are active the other to prove this point the electrical meter that SB Inverter supplys will be dead if it is digital.

So the best way to prove a fault is to turn off the Red isolator first then re-set the mcb and RCD if that has tripped once the meter is back on operate the isolator and hopefully it all starts working.

Now there is no right or wrong way to shut down and start up the inverter for instance no sun light no DC so the AC is on inverter is asleep until woken however what happens if there is a power cut on a bright sunny day nothing once the power is restored the inverter starts up so don't worry about shut down and start up procedures.

A picture of the fuse board and inverter would not go a miss

First thing i would do is to check that the MCB supplying the inverter is switched on your only gettin that fault code during the day time when the panels are active the other to prove this point the electrical meter that SB Inverter supplys will be dead if it is digital.

So the best way to prove a fault is to turn off the Red isolator first then re-set the mcb and RCD if that has tripped once the meter is back on operate the isolator and hopefully it all starts working.

Now there is no right or wrong way to shut down and start up the inverter for instance no sun light no DC so the AC is on inverter is asleep until woken however what happens if there is a power cut on a bright sunny day nothing once the power is restored the inverter starts up so don't worry about shut down and start up procedures.

A picture of the fuse board and inverter would not go a miss
Thank you for your reply. If I am to attempt to do anything at all, I will need "idiots" instructions as I am a lady with no experience whatsoever with electricity or solar panel systems. I have been in the loft, turned off red and black knob, left it 15 mins then back on again. The message before switching off was "grid fault, check fuse, 801". When the inverter came back on again, only the green light lit and the message was "waiting for grid, voltage, 801". But not long after the original message came on and the red light. Here are some pics. I have been in touch with a co. who install solar systems and he can come out tomorrow, an hour for £50 and I have to let him know today?

Attachments

• PICT0502 (2).JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0508.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0511 (3).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0514.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
  • PICT0511 (3).JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for your reply. If I am to attempt to do anything at all, I will need "idiots" instructions as I am a lady with no experience whatsoever with electricity or solar panel systems. I have been in the loft, turned off red and black knob, left it 15 mins then back on again. The message before switching off was "grid fault, check fuse, 801". When the inverter came back on again, only the green light lit and the message was "waiting for grid, voltage, 801". But not long after the original message came on and the red light. Here are some pics. I have been in touch with a co. who install solar systems and he can come out tomorrow, an hour for £50 and I have to let him know today?
can you get me a picture of the display please.
[automerge]1582626686[/automerge]
please can you get me the different screen shots as every 5 seconds it changes

can you get me a picture of the display please.
[automerge]1582626686[/automerge]
please can you get me the different screen shots as every 5 seconds it changes
do you mean photos of the screen on the inverter where the fault code is??

yes please i would like to see the voltages and amps
The screen would not light up when I tapped it so these pics arent good nor are they what you want to see, just the codes and there is a new one "start in 5.5" so I have switched it all off and going to leave it for a while then switch back on again, dont think these pics are any good to you - sorry.PICT0531.JPGPICT0531.JPGPICT0537.JPGPICT0538.JPGPICT0540.JPG
PICT0531.JPG

[automerge]1582631429[/automerge]
I had to have the flash on as so dark and the screen wouldnt light up so the pics are rubbish, sorry.

You have no voltage to the inverter do you know where the meter is that you read and you get paid from you need to see if it is on and that the display is active you i take it that the isolator with the red switch is switched on! as it seems that there is no power from the house fuse board to the inverter system you need to check this upstream and pictures speak a thousand words

You have no voltage to the inverter do you know where the meter is that you read and you get paid from you need to see if it is on and that the display is active you i take it that the isolator with the red switch is switched on! as it seems that there is no power from the house fuse board to the inverter system you need to check this upstream and pictures speak a thousand words
The Elster 100C is my gadget which records my generation. The reading is showing to date and the red light which flashes when generating is permanently on. I switched everything off when I went to take the pics so just going back up to switch everything back on again, thanks for your help.
[automerge]1582633756[/automerge]
The Elster 100C is my gadget which records my generation. The reading is showing to date and the red light which flashes when generating is permanently on. I switched everything off when I went to take the pics so just going back up to switch everything back on again, thanks for your help.
Just switched on again, green light flashing, red light IS NOT ON YET, V 584, A 00, message is "waiting for grid, voltage, 801". Red light still permanently on, on the Elster meter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds Very much like an internal fuse in the inverter best get the whole system checked and post what the outcome is sorry i'm not any closer

Sounds Very much like an internal fuse in the inverter best get the whole system checked and post what the outcome is sorry i'm not any closer
Managed to find local reliable company, inverter all checked and ok, checked rotary isolator, found poor connection, cable charred and contact melted, rotary isolator replaced and circuit tested, all up and running - thanks very much for all your help and support, best wishes.

Reply to Sunny Boy Inverter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net