Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Needed to disconnect garage supply for building works prior to the gas man coming to re-route the gas pipe... return to find gas pipe re-routed and the old pipe disconnected both ends but a bit still hanging out the wall. Bonding still connected to the old pipe!
I wonder how long it would have remained that way had I not been returning to re-instate the garage supply?

couldn,t the blues just be sleeved in brown? and the browns in blooo?-- bloooobydy doo
the ceiling roses could be topsy tervy
sockets back the front

Re: Tell us about your faults !

found this in a suspended ceiling today. the pics are far from the best as they are off the phone. all the cpc`s were wired outside the jb well it`s original if nothing else. 5 or 6 live cables chopped and left coming out the ends of it one 20 foot away form the jb. the socket was one of the ones that were still wired into it, on .75mm. another quality instal by bodjit and run
Lack of space in a JB. Means people can do some really neat jobs. (Ye sarcastic).

Just had one still unresolved.......
got called out to a house this evening with 'nuisance tripping' of RCD. Got there and noticed there was a 30mA RCD before the C/U and also one as the main switch on the C/U (no distinction between RCD's)
i then did a ramp test on RCD and neither tripped. I went at x5 on 30mA and nothing. I then kept going up as far as 1000mA and still wouldn't trip. I put an earth leakage tester on and went straight to OL on 400mA range. I took out the first RCD and replaced it with a Henley block hoping something might be better but the RCD M/S was still tripping completely randomly when not under test conditions. I started looking at circuits. I noticed that the downstairs sockets had <80mA of residual so unplugged everything from the circuit and still had <40mA of residual under no load. I took off a selection of faceplates and behind one was a parallel ring (4 of each conductor in the terminals behind double socket, two old and 2 harmonised!) the shower cover was already off, a seemingly 'in use' socket in lounge with now power at it but conductors behind. a halogen hob off an FCU from ring final and a 2KW cooker from 32A 6mm radial (not other way around as youd expect) the o/s light switch was taped to off position and another circuit in the C/U said 'ring old and new' with 4 line conductors in one 3871! The house is rented and couldn't get hold of the landlord to get consent or assurance of payment to start lifting floors, taking more time or chopping holes in flat roof area above dreaded kitchen etc etc. I think I will have to suggest an RCBO setup to the landlord with the scope of partial reword and see what else I find? Anyhow, has anyone come across an RCD that will not trip under test, will carry over what it's rated at, but will trip randomly with no extra load being added? I think it could be lots of things such as loose connections on a JB, water ingress through flat roof or maybe VIR lurking under the floor that the previous slippery spark may have neglected to be move and instead join fresh twin on 'visible areas'?

Yesterdays domestic fault was a short between live and earth on a length of T&E. Caused by a fridge freezer being pushed into position and crushing the cable between a freezer foot and the floor. The cable was loose on the floor near the wall because the cable installer (kitchen fitter) had not clipped or secured the cables back to the wall or enclosed them. Also found at the same time the old ring main extension joints into to new kitchen were hidden behind a fitted cupboard unit where the joints were simply blue barrel crimps wrapped in sticky tape without a enclosure. Also noted that two of the kitchen sockets were fitted directly onto the kitchen units (not the wall), which I seem to recall this should not have been done.

Also noted that two of the kitchen sockets were fitted directly onto the kitchen units (not the wall), which I seem to recall this should not have been done.

I've come across this many times, and not just in kitchen cupboards but also fitted study furniture and fitted wardrobes. I was always under the impression that it was wrong (though I seem to think that, at least back in 15th ed days when I was fully reg'd and working, it was not actually against the reg's, just not recommended - could be wrong, it's a long time back). However, I was quite surprised recently when I was bemoaning the fitting of a double 13A socket and two Fused Spurs to the inside of a kitchen unit, right under the cold stop tap - which was leaking slightly - and a fully qual'd and reg'd spark, of 40+ year's experience, who I've always trusted, said it was absolutely fine and other than siting them right under the stop cock he couldn't see anything contravening reg's.
Be interesting to see what other folk on here think - and no, I've not bothered to get out my 17th ed book and check, so I do accept I may be completely wrong.

I'm with you on this, i don't and never have, installed socket outlets to kitchen cabinets. As far as i'm concerned it's bad practice, and can cause more problems than it's worth in the long term!!

I agree, it's defo better to fit accessories to the structure of the building - as far as I remember though it's not a reg. just a recommendation in the Guide to Building Regs - I'm sure someone will find it soon and correct or confirm!

Re: Tell us about your faults !

doing remedial works on a house all insulation reading were over 200 meg , then installing an earth bond I moved a heating pipe and touched a screw and bang , the screw holding the heating trunking to the wall went straight through the live of the immersion heater cable and nothing else just goes to show you can still get a fault even though you have tested and all appears fine !

Had a call from a local cafe " our power keeps tripping and we have to keep resetting it but now the button is in but there is still no power" here is what I found
2013-07-23 19.28.29.jpg
2013-07-23 19.42.33.jpg

Food warmer, hotplate, kettle, toaster, fryer, Large coffee machine and a fridge all fed of the one 30A circuit wonder how it lasted as long as it has now has a new board and split in to 3 new rings and all the old melted chock block joints removed

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net