Discuss Testing and Inspection - requirements of test engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chronyx

The company I work for recently issued a PIR for my father's employer's property (Commerical and domestic.)

I have been looking into the 2391 myself and realised that the person(s) who performed the PI are not 2391 qualified.

Is this PIR therefore worth the paper it is written on, (Or simply at best a list of what an electrician believes is wrong with the installation) and what is to stop me not bothering with the 2391 if anyone can issue a PIR regardless of qualification?

Your thoughts/comments welcome!

You need to be 2391 qualified in order to do PIR's. It also takes a lot of experience too as there are many installation you come across that are very old and this is where the experience counts. As for the PIR that your company issued, your right in stating that its not worth the paper it's written on

I would have to disagree and say that a 2391 is not mandatory for carrying out a PIR. All that is required is that the person carrying out the PIR is competant to do so. Yes the 2391 would be a good way to prove competancy.

Agree with Sintra above, 2391 is not required to perform an adequate PIR.

What about sparkies who have been in business 20+ years, many have not done 2391, but have done an apprenticeship, as well as years of experience.

*If you have concerns about his findings, please put them up here, and you can get some advice.

Alan.

? a friend of mine is 16 edition qualified and been testing stuff for at least 30 years, guy in his mid 50's. NIC registered carrying out domestic and commercial works and does PIR's all the time - are you trying to say that because he does not have 2391 that his work is worthless? To my knowledge it is about being competent to carry out the work not just having a bit of paper. I have the bits of paper but i still rate him as having greater knowledge than myself - where does it say that it mandatory to have 2391 to do PIR's?

An acceptable Pir is usually done by an Niceic company
Thats what councils,landlords and insurance companies believe constitutes an acceptable report
Bear in mind, the Pir may be carried out by someone who hasn't a clue,but its oversigned by a Qs and thats the important bit in their eyes

What is usually not accepted, is an individual with years of experience and a 2391 to boot, who then may do a first class inspection at a reasonable rate

Pirs are funny creatures,you have the competence of those who can, but cant
Against the ignorance of those that cant, but can,if you get my drift

2391 qualification is nice to have, but it is neither necessary or asked for, Pirs are open to any who think they can do it, and companies who on the whole con their clients

A genuine test and inspection is less likely than a conspection,but your case could be either,its the content thats important

? a friend of mine is 16 edition qualified and been testing stuff for at least 30 years, guy in his mid 50's. NIC registered carrying out domestic and commercial works and does PIR's all the time - are you trying to say that because he does not have 2391 that his work is worthless? To my knowledge it is about being competent to carry out the work not just having a bit of paper. I have the bits of paper but i still rate him as having greater knowledge than myself - where does it say that it mandatory to have 2391 to do PIR's?

Think your mate might be on a sticky wicket if anything went wrong and he doesn't have the 17th edition qualification, as all PIRs need to be carried out with the 17th in mind.

Reply to Testing and Inspection - requirements of test engineer in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net