• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Testing of an RFC linked to a UPS in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo1

Electrician's Arms
Hi all,
bit of advice please - as the title, I have been asked to test a RFC which is served by a UPS. It's in an alarm receiving center. Any advice on what I need to watch out for, testing protocols etc? Not workred on this kind of set up before.

Regards.

Golden_Boy

Electrician's Arms
If the rfc is fed by a UPS then in practice it is not part of the fixed wiring..As the ups output will not be connected to the input circuit in any way.

As it is NOT connected to the input I would think that the RFC should be treated as if it where being fed from an isolation transformer and treated accordingly !!?

I may be wrong though..................

K

Knobhead

Sounds reasonable to me. Totally isolated from the main system.

You say a data centre, so you need to start looking at the implications of an “isolated” earth returns within your “isolated” system.

IQ Electrical

Electrician's Arms
Hi all,
bit of advice please - as the title, I have been asked to test a RFC which is served by a UPS. It's in an alarm receiving center. Any advice on what I need to watch out for, testing protocols etc? Not workred on this kind of set up before.

Regards.

Carry out your usual tests with the UPS in bypass mode.

When the inverter is in operation, the UPS itself will be factory set to clear any fault downstream, usually allowing a fault current to flow for around 100mS before automatically shutting down to protect the inverter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance