Discuss Testing procedure in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elementps

Hi guys, just going through COP as looking at doing some pat.

Just wondered if you could clarify a few bits regarding testing prcodure.

As far as i understand:
Earth continuity (if class 1)
on pg 73 and 74 it describes a hard continuity and soft continuity test, however i cant determine how you would choose which test to do on which equipment???

Insulation Resistance
Test at 500v, unless equipment has sensitive parts (IT etc) then either:
Protective conductor/touch current measurement OR
Alternative leakage current test OR
test at 250V
Again which one of these substitute tests would you choose for specific equipment???

Also as looking at test equipment want to know what i will require form my test meter before buying.
I will mainly be testing low volume domestic/office equipment, nothing industrial.

Many thanks

As far as i understand:
Earth continuity (if class 1)
on pg 73 and 74 it describes a hard continuity and soft continuity test, however i cant determine how you would choose which test to do on which equipment???anything IT, or with electronics, low current, 100mA.

Insulation Resistance
Test at 500v, unless equipment has sensitive parts (IT etc) then either:
Protective conductor/touch current measurement OR
Alternative leakage current test OR
test at 250V. ​i test @250V

Thanks for the advice guys, have been looking around at some testers, it seems a lot of the machines out there only carry out a low current test and IR @ 250V, particularly the battery machines. Seems strange, how can these be used to test equipment effectively if they perform the full range of tests???

So, have been asked by a friend to test the appliances in his cafe, mainly fridges, kettle, microwave etc.

One thing im stuck on, he has a 3 phase pizza oven which is connected via large red commando socket, what would you do in this situation? I was thinking stripping the plug back and testing with multi-function tester?

Could anyone advise on a tester they would recommend, I will be looking for domething in the budget end of the market as will not be doing much PAT, when i am it will be general appliances as listed above?

whatever tester you decide youl hate something but will do job for others, they all they same its todo with volume.

i done pat testing course last year and still havent managaed to buy one. but probably lost out in 2 jobs already.

i thtink if it can do earth continuity and insulation resistance its enough to pass fail an item. then visual is main part. alough id love one that covers earth leakage for the sparking part. gonna knock meslef out and look at them all day now, see you ;)

whatever tester you decide youl hate something but will do job for others, they all they same its todo with volume.

i done pat testing course last year and still havent managaed to buy one. but probably lost out in 2 jobs already.

i thtink if it can do earth continuity and insulation resistance its enough to pass fail an item. then visual is main part. alough id love one that covers earth leakage for the sparking part. gonna knock meslef out and look at them all day now, see you ;)

I was in the same position I went on a college II&TEE (formally PAT) it was better and cheaper than the Schemies then I bought the Kewtech KT71(230v version) bundle that I thought was a good deal ie tester,leads,carry case(very good) socket tester 2 insulated screwdrivers a cable stripper and even 110v test leads and PAT labels. But the only thing was I got tooled up and 6 months ago and have only had one job where the customer says I need PAT testing as well where last year I was getting 1 a month saying well if you cannot do PAT as well I wont be using you so there you go.

Reply to Testing procedure in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net