Discuss The NICEIC creating new roles in the electrical business? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

More dosh for the Scams Gavin, how right you are, so not only are they assessing the firm, for competence, they are no going to assess each electrician, I would have thought they need to put their own house in order first.

Had this email pop up in my inbox, seems the NICEIC are looking into creating a new role in a electrical business, by sounds of it one rung below QS... Not sure what responsibilities it would give them or would it be the case they can then sign off the certificates?
No doubt it will be an extra money spinner if certsure have any involvement.
Assessing individual competence of electricians
Dear contractor,

The Qualified Supervisor (QS) model has served you well for over 60 years and we plan to continue to offer that model to you our customers.

However, we also appreciate that some electricians are looking for routes to recognise the competence of individuals working within your businesses and who operate under the supervision of a QS and PDH

We are currently investigating ways to assess individual electrician's competence within the existing scheme structure. We want to consult you and get your feedback on our emerging thoughts.

Many aspects of this proposal still need to be ironed out but we are interested in your initial views on this issue and would like to ask you a few questions on the subject, which will not take more than two minutes.

s.gif
I've actually threatened to sue a university for demanding that the would-be contractor be niceic registered as part of their tendering spec. Straight onto the competition watchdog. There are other scamsters out there and there is no legal obligation to be member of the niceic or any other. Gas safe, and tank fitters are obliged not us. Give them a huge slap from me.

I've actually threatened to sue a university for demanding that the would-be contractor be niceic registered as part of their tendering spec. Straight onto the competition watchdog. There are other scamsters out there and there is no legal obligation to be member of the niceic or any other. Gas safe, and tank fitters are obliged not us. Give them a huge slap from me.
Doubt you would get far with that.
Not aware of any law which prevents a client from specifying an organisation a contractor should be registered with.

PMSL, Why?

Public Sector organisations are not allowed to specify brand names.
It us illegal, as an example, tenders over a certain value must be offered Europe wide.
The NICEIC only operates in the UK.
Thus, by specifying them, you automatically exclude companies not based in the UK.
That’s illegal.
Universities come under Public Sector procurement legislation.
They could legitimately require a scheme membership by describing the generic UKAS model & requirements, which are actually to a recognised published standard.
I don’t recall the exact details now.
However, it is only legitimate for the private sector to specify a particular scheme.

Happened to me around here not so long ago, went to do some work on some newish flats, the company who did original work got identical results in every apartment, despite the circuits being different lengths and size... all very peculiar! even the rcd's tripped in identical times... Being new builds the certificates were available to look at... told owner/landlord its not worth paper its printed on. good thing is they lost a lot of future work from the developer for that lazy form filling exercise..
My old boss did that with some flats (another job he didn't want me to visit) put loads of certificates in front of me to sign all the same I tell you 0.01 ohms r1+r2 for a lighting circuit year right!

Reply to The NICEIC creating new roles in the electrical business? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net