Discuss Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have never used a proving unit.
Hang on, I think I did when I done my testing and inspection assessment..
The trouble I have with proving units is that I don’t trust them.

I have never used a proving unit.
Hang on, I think I did when I done my testing and inspection assessment..
The trouble I have with proving units is that I don’t trust them.

What do you do when a live supply isn't readily available or safely accessible?

That's why you prove the avi before and after testing, it shows that both the avi and proving unit are working.

Are the nic going to want to see an approved voltage tester and proving unit? Or can I get away with using my fluke t5-1000 and proving it on a known source when doing safe isolation, which I’m assuming you’ll have to show?

Have you read through the niceic's guidance for new applicants? Questions like this are answered there.

For the cost of a cheap proving unit I would just buy one and sling it in your tool box for assessment day...

What do you do when a live supply isn't readily available or safely accessible?

That's why you prove the avi before and after testing, it shows that both the avi and proving unit are working.

What I have done for the last 27 years is test the supply before isolating and then test it again after isolating it.. Then test the primary side again..
I have never been in a situation where I need a proving unit. I personally wouldn’t put my life or any one else’s in the hands of a proving unit..

What I have done for the last 27 years is test the supply before isolating and then test it again after isolating it.. Then test the primary side again..
I have never been in a situation where I need a proving unit. I personally wouldn’t put my life or any one else’s in the hands of a proving unit..

There must be occasions however, when you test your supply before isolating and a tester indicates the supply is dead. How do you prove the voltage tester is not faulty, without access to a know live supply?

To be honest I’ve always tested on a known live supply. I can’t think of any situation I’ve been in where there’s not a known live supply somewhere in the near vicinity. Personally I have more than one voltage indicator/testing device on me at any one time so if there’s any doubt i can always test with another to verify

There must be occasions however, when you test your supply before isolating and a tester indicates the supply is dead. How do you prove the voltage tester is not faulty, without access to a know live supply?

In my opinion this scenario could continue forever. 15 testers/proving units/voltage indicators down the line there is still no way of truely proving that all the instruments are in perfect working order

I personally do not own a proving unit , I carry 2 volt pens and a multi meter / martindale , so 3 fail safes and I have proved dead this way for over 20 years now.

If all 3 fail me then so be it....

However if the Scams insist on a proving unit for the site visit then I would buy a cheap one for assessment day to 'tick the box'

I personally do not own a proving unit , I carry 2 volt pens and a multi meter / martindale , so 3 fail safes and I have proved dead this way for over 20 years now.

If all 3 fail me then so be it....

However if the Scams insist on a proving unit for the site visit then I would buy a cheap one for assessment day to 'tick the box'

This is probably the best bet and was what I was intending to do I just wanted to check if anyone knew for sure either way.

In my opinion this scenario could continue forever. 15 testers/proving units/voltage indicators down the line there is still no way of truely proving that all the instruments are in perfect working order

I’m all for the standard approach to safe isolation, by proving on a known source. My point is, that if you place your tester on your known source, and your tester does not light up, what do yo do then?

There are different "accepted" methods for proving isolation for electricians

There is only one single 100 % assured means of removing all danger of never getting it wrong,its a little drastic so cover your ears

The person needs to earn a living in a different occupation

Let’s face it there are times when you don’t really have a choice but to work live. If you can stay safe in this scenario then worrying about 100% sure safe isolation becomes a little obsolete

Even after I have safely isolated a circuit I will still give the end I’m working on a going over with a volt stick or the old quick touch technique lol just to be sure

Let’s face it there are times when you don’t really have a choice but to work live. If you can stay safe in this scenario then worrying about 100% sure safe isolation becomes a little obsolete

What times are those? If you are working live then you will be following a very detailed plan of the work written specifically for the task and will be using temporary insulation, fully insulated tools etc and wearing suitable fire resistant clothing, arc shields etc. None of this makes safe isolation a 'little bit obsolete'

Anyway, I thought you said earlier you only do domestic? There's never a need to work live in domestic work!

Working live is only really going to be considered when paying out the compensation for killing someone is cheaper than the loss of profit from shutting down production.

Reply to Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock