Discuss Todays PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ian

Inspected a house today and why its not a pile of ashes is amystery to me. The CU had been changed about 6 weeks ago by a spark and theclient was not given any cert etc. Since the CU change there have been“problems with the RCD tripping” and could not contact the spark that installedit.

Here are the highlights of my inspection.

• No bonding,
  • 3 ring CTS not formed properly, spurs from spurs etc and no continuity on ring conductors.
  • No earths at most of the lights.
  • Cooker switch directly behind hob and was charred and black.
  • Holes in the top of the OS socket boxes and the water poured in. (Tripping either RCD or MCB randomly)
  • Broken OS lights.
  • 10kw shower wired in 4mm T&E protected by a 40 amp CB.
  • Loads of broken accessories where you could get 2 or 3 fingers in.
  • Induction Hob wired in 2.5 T&E serviced via a 40 CB
  • Garden lights were wired in T&E and the cables were scratched into the soil, probably around 30mm below the surface, and connector block taped joints. When they switched them on it tripped the MCB…. wonder why?
  • Down lights covered in 200mm of insulation. Some cables are starting to deteriorate because they have been placed directly beside the lights.
  • A couple of down lights wired in bell wire…..yeh, I said bell wire.

In the in the time old tradition of saving the best to last,

• The 100 amp tail blocks had no covers on them.
  • Couple of the lighting circuits could not hold the RCD, so they were switched over to the non-RCD protected ways…ingenious.

As I said previously, the CU was changed a few weeks ago,apparently he is a DI with elecsa. Should I report him…..i think I should.

I would be interested in the outcome if you do attempt to report the installer.
Perhaps I'm cynical, but I doubt very much, that anything will happen.

This chap should be locked up, end of!

Not only the book but also the rest of the tree it came from, and the machines used to make it should be thrown at him.

Sadly I fear Spin may be bang on........

Aren't we a bunchof synics. Yes report him (do you have his number) and lets hope that Elecsa (assuming he is registered) do something about the individual.

At the very least the scheme providers need to been seen to police the members or a better idea, the report is sent to another scheme provider, so that they do an inspection, and make a ruling without any vested interest!

I did check your location to check it wasn't one of mine.....:smile:

there were a few prosecutions a good while back, but nothing seems to get done anymore....

most of the competent persons schemes seem only interested in the subs IMO it would be nice to be proven wrong though!

Well,he is probably out there today doing much the same standard of work

Will he be reported, maybe,but probably not
Will anything be done,no,they may at the most pay lip service to the complainent
Would any of the schemes admit their own failings and risk their own competence being brought into question ?

I would say even if he was reported, there would under no circumstances be any repurcussions

The general public know little of these schemes, and just as well,they would realise how pathetic the present arrangements are for their assurance of safety

Cheers lads, to be honest I was a bit reluctant to reporthim…basically I never have reported anyone before, but as I see it he willstill be out there doing the same shoddy, and dangerous work, he is alsotarnishing the name of honest hard working sparks who do a good job….its really****ed me of especially leaving the covers of the tail blocks…… there arekiddies running about in this house.

Anyway, you have reassured me that reporting him is theright thing to do, will be on the phone tomorrow.

Ian

I would do him a favour and the wider public by reporting him. I too am not the type to moan overtly about others' work but if the standard is so low to give rise to very real danger then you really have no option but to report him. As telectrix mentioned, I hope you took a few good (or a rather good few) photos. An remember the old saying: "Crappy installs prevail when good sparks fail to act"

I dont know how some people sleep at night ...

I am sorry but loadsa photo's elecsa and perhaps the local trading stds guys ..

way way way out of order in my humble opinion at least the home owner is now aware of the situation and can wear rubber gauntlets and thick welly boots.

What is the legal min south of the border for a CU change,

I would do him a favour and the wider public by reporting him. ....

That's the bottom line I think. Stunning that this is still happening. I've just been working on a house which had a bare live tail alongside the meter. this house has just been sold so where was the legal check usually done by solicitors? No certificate and dangerous installation.....brand new.

Inspected a house today and why its not a pile of ashes is amystery to me. The CU had been changed about 6 weeks ago by a spark and theclient was not given any cert etc. Since the CU change there have been“problems with the RCD tripping” and could not contact the spark that installedit.

Here are the highlights of my inspection.
  • No bonding,
  • 3 ring CTS not formed properly, spurs from spurs etc and no continuity on ring conductors.
  • No earths at most of the lights.
  • Cooker switch directly behind hob and was charred and black.
  • Holes in the top of the OS socket boxes and the water poured in. (Tripping either RCD or MCB randomly)
  • Broken OS lights.
  • 10kw shower wired in 4mm T&E protected by a 40 amp CB.
  • Loads of broken accessories where you could get 2 or 3 fingers in.
  • Induction Hob wired in 2.5 T&E serviced via a 40 CB
  • Garden lights were wired in T&E and the cables were scratched into the soil, probably around 30mm below the surface, and connector block taped joints. When they switched them on it tripped the MCB…. wonder why?
  • Down lights covered in 200mm of insulation. Some cables are starting to deteriorate because they have been placed directly beside the lights.
  • A couple of down lights wired in bell wire…..yeh, I said bell wire.
In the in the time old tradition of saving the best to last,

• The 100 amp tail blocks had no covers on them.
  • Couple of the lighting circuits could not hold the RCD, so they were switched over to the non-RCD protected ways…ingenious.
As I said previously, the CU was changed a few weeks ago,apparently he is a DI with elecsa. Should I report him…..i think I should.

You absolutely must report this, not only is this guy leaving installations in a dangerous condition but he's also stealing work away from legitimate contractors by omitting work that they would have to include in quotations!

I would send a report to the scheme provider and a copy of all correspondance to trading standards, specifically asking that you are kept informed of proceedings.

report him ASAP....!!

im following on from a "struck off" NICEIC contractor into a house on Monday to carry out a PIR on his shoddy work! (he no longer registered with any scheme and currently getting shafted by the NIC for logo infringement after he was booted out months ago..)

Reply to Todays PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net