Discuss trailing sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

crispy fingers

Hi,
is it safe to plug a 5or 6 gang trailing socket into another which will be surge protected so that i have 9/10 sockets to use, will be used to power tv/av equipment.

thanks

Hi, Welcome to the forum. It is considered bad practice to connect 2 or more extension leads together. It is important to ensure the lead is not overloaded by sum total of individual loads or by unwittingly plugging high power appliances into it. The more socket outlets that are available the greater the overload risk!

Last edited by a moderator:
however, the initial plug on the 1st lead is fused at 13A so even if you string 10 leads together, each one can't be overloaded.

these ruddy things should be BANNED along with the plug in adaptor blocks and those 3,4 gang plug in hanging from the socket things GGGRRRRRR

Thats called daisychaining Crispy and isn`t good. As tel says its the fuse ratings that count but it still isn`t a good practice. The best way is to have enough points in the first place which is why an initial consultation with an electrician before a rewire/extention etc is a must ...in my eyes..:welcome:

The biggest problem with extension leads is the cable size, i've seen these things wired with 3 core 0.5mm 3 core flexible!! Protecting that size cable with a 13A fuse will interesting!! It's gonna get rather hot quite quickly with a load approaching 13A !!!!

well my daisy chains for the computers and peripherails ( big word that, after beer) are 1.5mm, 1st 1 fused at 13A, 2nd at 5A. total load with 8 plugs in is les than 5A ( that's until her indoors plugs in the hair dryer, tongs, nail dryer, spray tan gun, sunbed, fan heater LOL.)

well my daisy chains for the computers and peripherails ( big word that, after beer) are 1.5mm, 1st 1 fused at 13A, 2nd at 5A. total load with 8 plugs in is les than 5A ( that's until her indoors plugs in the hair dryer, tongs, nail dryer, spray tan gun, sunbed, fan heater LOL.)

That's the point though isn't it, ...we know what the cable size should be. The average homeowner on the other hand hasn't a clue!! They just buy the cheapest one available at the time, often at these ''Pond Shops'' that generally just sell crap, when it comes to anything electrical... It's lucky that most people buy them for powering computers and other multiple low current equipment. lol!!!!

Iv got my desktop pc under the stair mounted 4 2g sockets to the desk through a 20Adp sw mounted on side of desk n a 2.5 flex to wall socket I can now move desk to bedroom or dining room
On a visit to a commercial client they had one 4gang with each socket taken up with another 4 gang = 16 plugs from 1 socket via 1no 13a fuse Each 4gang had 2 tomtom chargers and 2 phone chargers All this was stuffed into a drawer it was like a big bunck of old grannies knitting FFS they also had a 4gang feeding 2 computer desks each of which had an 8 gang thing in their
Fire hasnt been reported their YET Its one call Im almost certain I will get

Just sat here I had a quick look around:
  • 3 computers
  • 3monitors
  • 2 storage drives
  • Record turntable
  • 3 amplifiers
  • 2 graphic equalisers
  • Tuner
  • DAB tuner
  • Tape deck
  • CD recorder
  • CD player
  • Phone charger
  • AND NO BLOODY TELEVISION! Come dancing? I haven’t a clue what that is!
I’d need an extension built to put the sockets in!

Used right they are a god send BUT…….

Reply to trailing sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net