Discuss Transportable Building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bigbertha

The local Golf Club have a metal shipping container which they want to install 2 x twin sockets for Buggie Chargers.

I have spoken to NICEIC tec help who has told me I can not take a supply directly into the container it has to be a plug and socket as its classed as transportable (even though it hasn't move for 20 years).

Inside the unit we will make it a TT supply with a insulated RCD consumer unit with the earth bar connected to the metal work of the container.

As we are quoting against somebody who has already wired one container and has gone straight in with a SWA its going to make a difference.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Section 717 of the BRB applies,it's a bit of a grey area as to whether a plug and inlet connector has to be used to supply,or whether the unit can be hard wired,as far as I can see the regs do not state that an inlet connector is the only way,and if the unit is not going to move I would not have a problem with hard wiring it.....take particular care to insulate the incoming supply against contact with the metal container through the entry.

From Guidance Note 7:

The particular requirements of section 717 are applicable to mobile or transportable units. For the purpose of this section, the term 'unit' is intended to mean a vehicle and/or mobile or transportable structure in which all or part of an electrical installation is contained, which is provided with a temporary supply by means of, for example, a plug and socket outlet.

Reading literally, you can make a case that once the cabin is fed with a 'permanent supply' it ceases to meet the above definition of a mobile or transportable unit!

I have to say that I can see the reasoning behind it especially considering the frequently low integrity of temporary supplies.

Reply to Transportable Building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net