Discuss Trying to get a domestic electrical safety certificate... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not at all sure why you think it's me that's cutting corners. Thanks to the replies I now know the electrician I employed has cut the corners and the proper name of the report I commisioned. I wholeheartedly agree with Des 56 that I should have known that beforehand and have discovered from other threads that an awful lot of electricians and the whole of the letting agency fraternity don't know what it is called either. The pendant light, socket and MCDs will be changed in an hour and a competent electrician will undertake a full retest and carry out any remedial work necessary. The original guy will get his inspection fee only when he produces an EICR, otherwise his kids will go hungry.

Which kind of brings me full circle. How can I tell in the first place who is competent and professional like Murdoch, Sintra, not clever, Steve_P, plugsandsparks and rattlehead85 and who is just out to feed their kids and the ones next door?

There lies a very real problem, not only for you, but for all domestic homeowners!!
The best solution is getting recommendations from trusted friends and family. Far too easy now to end-up with incompetent guy's that were stacking shelves at Tescos 17 day's ago...lol!! Unbelievable i know, but unfortunately very true none the less!! lol!!

You say you've paid £240 for that 1 page document? Outrageous. A properly completed EICR on a TYPICAL small 3 bed house shouldn't really cost that much, but labour rates will vary around the country. There's no such official document as a 'Landlords electrical check' (or whatever it was called) The Wiring Regs (BS7671) detail 3 types of report and in this instance you're after an EICR.

£300 appears to be a bit steep for the remedial's, but it's always hard to say without seeing the installation, and again labour rates vary depending on location.

Nothing. I am a landlord who only employs resistered contractors. And pays the going rate. You seem to know exactly what's required, and aparently could do this lot in 1 hour? Did you do it first time round ?

There lies a very real problem, not only for you, but for all domestic homeowners!!
The best solution is getting recommendations from trusted friends and family. Far too easy now to end-up with incompetent guy's that were stacking shelves at Tescos 17 day's ago...lol!! Unbelievable i know, but unfortunately very true none the less!! lol!!
I was going to say that.
Being an NICEIC approved contractor isn't the guarantee they'd like you to believe it is; just the same as any large company they're only as good as the individual you're dealing with.

Not sure of what or who to believe, but I see a lot of spark bashing by Landords here, the thing here is you asked for a report, he gave you a report as you have posted up the page of faults, you don't need to get him to do any of the work, it's your call, whats the problem again??

I'd expect a full EICR to cost around £150.
What you have cut and pasted, is not much better than a Visual Condition Report.
Something that is not in my opinion something that is worth the paper it is written on.
It is also something that is not recognised by the Regulations.
Send this back, informing the gut that you want a complete report, along with a schedule of inspections and test results.

Reply to Trying to get a domestic electrical safety certificate... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net