Discuss Trying to get a domestic electrical safety certificate... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

No, the inspection fee is separate. £240+VAT is for replacing a socket, couple of marker sleeves, derating an MCB by swapping for an unused one, replacing main earthing conductor wire, replacing & re-siting bathroom light and uprating 1.5m radial. Bout an hour if he stops for tea. Small 3 bed semi btw.

Radial is direct from consumer unit in kitchen, 32A MCB, so yes if there's a reg I'm not aware of regarding 32A radials and 2.5mm cable over such a short distance I'll just derate to 25A. Thanks Sintra.

No ratings at all have been provided for any faults so unable to say whether they are C2 or C3, sorry.

You sound like a typical client....'Bout an hour if he stops for tea' my arse......like to see you do that much work ,whatever it is you do,in an hour.

You sound like a typical client....'Bout an hour if he stops for tea' my arse......like to see you do that much work ,whatever it is you do,in an hour.

Yes, sorry for my flipancy. It would take me about an hour except for the light re-siting, which I don't want or need (why move a light from zone 3 to zone 2) and I was guessing a sparks would be quicker.

Yes, sorry for my flipancy. It would take me about an hour except for the light re-siting, which I don't want or need (why move a light from zone 3 to zone 2) and I was guessing a sparks would be quicker.
Does that include completing a 5 page EIC as a circuit has been rewired and an OCPD changed?

BTW there is no longer a zone 3....it's either Z1,Z2 or outside the zones.

Why is it that now days Joe public seem to THINK they know more than the tradesman that they brought in.

Without seeing the property my guess is that the amount being quoted is fair.

Do these people actually realise how much work is involved, on site doing the physical job and then after filling out certificates,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but that's not something I've seen on an EICR before, looks like a word table designed to baffle. I'm not saying he's wrong and couldn't really say without seeing the full report or the house itself but which page of the EICR is that from?

Definitely more than an hour though, or does he not intend to do any testing or issue a cert?

Have you paid for the report yet?

Sorry but that's not something I've seen on an EICR before, looks like a word table designed to baffle. I'm not saying he's wrong and couldn't really say without seeing the full report or the house itself but which page of the EICR is that from?

Definitely more than an hour though, or does he not intend to do any testing or issue a cert?

Have you paid for the report yet?

The point is THERE IS NO EICR.
The ONLY report given to me is the table I posted above.

I haven't paid and it's now clear thanks to all who have replied that I should hold out for a proper EICR with C ratings as this is clearly what was meant when I requested a landlord's electrical safety inspection and certificate (which is how it is referred to by so many letting agencies).

The point is THERE IS NO EICR.
The ONLY report given to me is the table I posted above.

I haven't paid and it's now clear thanks to all who have replied that I should hold out for a proper EICR with C ratings as this is clearly what was meant when I requested a landlord's electrical safety inspection and certificate (which is how it is referred to by so many letting agencies).

You say that you are going to hold out for a proper EICR with C ratings!
That won't happen if you have circuits with over rated mcbs on them.

So I would suggest that you get into the real world,

Typical landlord comes complete with shotgun and tries to override everything. You all seem to think that the rules don't apply to you.

1. Ask him for the report, as in the 5 page EICR not the carp he has given you.
  2. You do not have to act on any of the recomendations, it is up to you what you do but the report is yours (once you've paid).
  3. Get quotes from other electricians to do the remedials or do them yourself, you do not have to use the spark who has undertaken the EICR.
  4. If others do the remedials ask for certs & attach to the unsatisfactory report, this will show the remedials have been done.
  5. There is no Zone 3 so ignore that or just put up a cheap as chips bathroom light.
  6. Earth fly lead to back boxes not required if one lug is static.
  7. 1.5mm on a 32amp mcb protected circuit as a spur, yes change it or drop a fused spur in between the 1.5mm & the 2.5mm circuit.
  8. £250 for a small domestic, he saw you comming. but if thats his price thats his price, you could have got other quotes.
  9. £300 for the remedials does seem a tad steep, whats on that list you could look at £150 - £200 labour.
  10. dont bother reporting as sod all will get done & the scam operator will just tell you to speak to the contractor to try and resolve the issue as they have no influence on contractors pricing structures.

Why is he a "cowboy"?
He might just be trying earn money to feed his kids.

Not producing a professional EICR, threatening me with prosecution if a light in zone 3 (which I now know no longer exists) isn't replaced, quoting for other unnecessary work (see replies above), listing items twice and bumping up the bill for some straightforward screwdriver work - ummm isn't that the def of a cowboy tradesman?

But what concerns me a lot is the number of replies referring to whether he has kids to feed as if this gives the right to rip off stupid Joe public like me who dares to think he knows better ... I also have kids to feed and I do so on £5k a year.

Many thanks to all those professional responses I have received, I now know what I have to do.

You say that you are going to hold out for a proper EICR with C ratings!
That won't happen if you have circuits with over rated mcbs on them.

So I would suggest that you get into the real world,

Typical landlord comes complete with shotgun and tries to override everything. You all seem to think that the rules don't apply to you.

I don't understand this response. Are you saying I'm not eligble for an EICR (which should detail the incorrect rated MCBs) because there are over rated MCBs?

Let's be clear, I want the house safe and certified and I'm prepared to pay for all the remedial work that is NECESSARY.

If I was not in the real world I would not be on here.

Before becoming irrate with some responses,just remember one thing

"You! engaged his services,!you! are the person who did the research before engaging someone for this task

!You" also did not come up to scratch with your own responsibility to yourself

I don't understand this response. Are you saying I'm not eligble for an EICR (which should detail the incorrect rated MCBs) because there are over rated MCBs?

Let's be clear, I want the house safe and certified and I'm prepared to pay for all the remedial work that is NECESSARY.

I'll repeat myself.

Email the sparky and ask for the EICR and your invoice. Once you have that you can decide what to do next.

That is not what I am saying, of coarse you are ligible for an EICR?
Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory

What I am saying is that with the mcb being over rated for the cable, you will not get a report with all C3s on it. This warrants a C2, wich is automatically a Unsatisfactory result. In other words a failure.

But what concerns me a lot is the number of replies referring to whether he has kids to feed as if this gives the right to rip off stupid Joe public like me who dares to think he knows better ... I also have kids to feed and I do so on £5k a year.
How does your having kids to feed give you the right to cut corners on electrical safety in a property which you're expecting someone else to pay to live in?

How does your having kids to feed give you the right to cut corners on electrical safety in a property which you're expecting someone else to pay to live in?

Not at all sure why you think it's me that's cutting corners. Thanks to the replies I now know the electrician I employed has cut the corners and the proper name of the report I commisioned. I wholeheartedly agree with Des 56 that I should have known that beforehand and have discovered from other threads that an awful lot of electricians and the whole of the letting agency fraternity don't know what it is called either. The pendant light, socket and MCDs will be changed in an hour and a competent electrician will undertake a full retest and carry out any remedial work necessary. The original guy will get his inspection fee only when he produces an EICR, otherwise his kids will go hungry.

Which kind of brings me full circle. How can I tell in the first place who is competent and professional like Murdoch, Sintra, not clever, Steve_P, plugsandsparks and rattlehead85 and who is just out to feed their kids and the ones next door?

Reply to Trying to get a domestic electrical safety certificate... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net