Discuss Tumble Dryer Help. Overheating and melting plug and socket. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Prima Tumble Dryer which I have had for 5 years.

Just recently, the plug and socket melted. I replaced both and it melted again. I replaced again and again it's getting hot. I measured the temp with a laser thermometer which said it was 42.5oc. I drilled a couple of holes in the plug so I can measure the current draw (live to earth), which was 3.9amps.

I'm not sure why this is happening?
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions as to why this is happening and how to solve it please.

Thank you,
Keith

Hi,
I have a Prima Tumble Dryer which I have had for 5 years.

Just recently, the plug and socket melted. I replaced both and it melted again. I replaced again and again it's getting hot. I measured the temp with a laser thermometer which said it was 42.5oc. I drilled a couple of holes in the plug so I can measure the current draw (live to earth), which was 3.9amps.

I'm not sure why this is happening?
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions as to why this is happening and how to solve it please.

Thank you,
Keith
Replace the socket outlet with a decent one, as well as the plug.

Make sure that all the connections are all good.

Replace the socket outlet with a decent one, as well as the plug.

Make sure that all the connections are all good.
I have done this 2 times now.

I have just checked the dryer whilst being used and it's melting. Temp was 78oc but only shows drawing 3.9amps????

I've turned it off. Would the dryer cable be the issue??

Why would the plug get so hot it's melting??

I think I will, but just want to know why this is happening???

Most likely bad contact between the plug and socket caused by either age, bad connections or poor quality plug/socket. As above, replace the socket and the plug and make sure you use good quality ones.

I have done this 2 times now.

I have just checked the dryer whilst being used and it's melting. Temp was 78oc but only shows drawing 3.9amps????

I've turned it off. Would the dryer cable be the issue??

Why would the plug get so hot it's melting??
If it’s protected by a 13 amp fuse then it shouldn’t be causing the plug / socket outlet to overheat.

In a previous post you said you were measuring the current between L and Earth I can only assume that you have no rcd otherwise it would have tripped.

I think it is time for you to call in a professional.

if you have changed both the plug and the socket 2 times and it is happily melting away whilst in use, providing you have used good quality materials for both the plug and the socket and changed them at the same time.

the only other common factor in the last 2 unsuccessful repairs is the workmanship.

I think I will, but just want to know why this is happening???
I certainly don't understand what is happening from the information you've given.
Is the plug you changed a standard 13A fused plug, and did you have a new fuse in it, or is it the fuse from the original overheating plug?
Is the socket you changed a standard 13A socket? What brand?
When you said "I drilled a couple of holes in the plug so I can measure the current draw (live to earth), which was 3.9amps."
what exactly did you do? Were you actually measuring ac current between E and L? How did you do that through a couple of holes drilled in the plug?
There would have been current flowing through the fuse, did you measure the value of that?

I would expect any current capable of heating up the flex and plug/socket would be enough to blow the fuse, assuming all the terminations have been made and tightened properly.

Last edited:
If it’s protected by a 13 amp fuse then it shouldn’t be causing the plug / socket outlet to overheat.

In a previous post you said you were measuring the current between L and Earth I can only assume that you have no rcd otherwise it would have tripped.
Yes L & E
It has a 13A fuse on plug and I do have an RCD. Neither tripped though.

I certainly don't understand what is happening from the information you've given.
Is the plug you changed a standard 13A fused plug, and did you have a new fuse in it, or is it the fuse from the original overheating plug?
Is the socket you changed a standard 13A socket? What brand?
When you said "I drilled a couple of holes in the plug so I can measure the current draw (live to earth), which was 3.9amps."
what exactly did you do? Were you actually measuring ac current between E and L? How did you do that through a couple of holes drilled in the plug?
There would have been current flowing through the fuse, did you measure the value of that?

I would expect any current capable of heating up the flex and plug/socket would be enough to blow the fuse, assuming all the terminations have been made and tightened properly.
Hi,
Standard 13A fused plug, new plug & fuse.
The socket is a standard single 13A rated.
I drilled the holes for direct access when the dryer is running. I measured between E & L to get current load. Is this correct or was I doing it wrong?
The cable was barely warm but the plug & socket very hot.
Plug 13A and RCD did not blow.
I have bought a new Tumble Dryer as I think this one has run its time.
Thanks.

Hi,
Standard 13A fused plug, new plug & fuse.
The socket is a standard single 13A rated.
I drilled the holes for direct access when the dryer is running. I measured between E & L to get current load. Is this correct or was I doing it wrong?
The cable was barely warm but the plug & socket very hot.
Plug 13A and RCD did not blow.
I have bought a new Tumble Dryer as I think this one has run its time.
Thanks.
Thanks
To measure current you put the ammeter in series with the load, not directly across plug terminals.
The normal effect when doing what you describe is a bang, and/or the fuse in the multimeter blows (assuming there is one)
If neither of these happened I'm thinking maybe you actually measured the voltage between L and E at 3.9V.

A possible explanation for the melting plugs was that your old dryer was taking a lot of current due to a fault, which your measurement did not detect. The 13A fuse in the plug will not blow until the sustained current is over 20A, so that could be enough to cause the damage.
Anyway, all hypothetical now as you are replacing the dryer. Do let us know if that fixes the problem!

Yes L & E
It has a 13A fuse on plug and I do have an RCD. Neither tripped though.
If you were using a multimeter you would normally have to switch to the ac amp meter range and move the + probe to the amp meter terminal.
If you did this and your multimeter was working as it should then you would trip the rcd.
As already said it’s not the way to measure current.

If you were using a multimeter you would normally have to switch to the ac amp meter range and move the + probe to the amp meter terminal.
If you did this and your multimeter was working as it should then you would trip the rcd.
As already said it’s not the way to measure current.

The crucial part is putting your meter in series with the circuit rather than across it. If you just move the terminal in the meter them you will be applying a direct live to earth short.

A heat damaged socket will quickly damage new plug if passing a significant current, so it's advisable to change the socket before using the new drier, if there's any doubt about the socket's condition.

Thanks
To measure current you put the ammeter in series with the load, not directly across plug terminals.
The normal effect when doing what you describe is a bang, and/or the fuse in the multimeter blows (assuming there is one)
If neither of these happened I'm thinking maybe you actually measured the voltage between L and E at 3.9V.

A possible explanation for the melting plugs was that your old dryer was taking a lot of current due to a fault, which your measurement did not detect. The 13A fuse in the plug will not blow until the sustained current is over 20A, so that could be enough to cause the damage.
Anyway, all hypothetical now as you are replacing the dryer. Do let us know if that fixes the problem!
Hi,
I honestly thought this as how to measure current.
My multimeter can measure AC/DC Voltage & Amps, it was set to AC Amps. It has a ring which could go around a cable but as it was in the cord couldn't, which is why I done it that way.
Luckily nothing went bang.
I appreciate your advice and correcting my mistake!

Reply to Tumble Dryer Help. Overheating and melting plug and socket. in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net