Discuss Uk Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bcjcben

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought 2 lamps from eBay, when they arrived they had European plugs, when rewiring the plugs to UK plugs I noticed the wiring is only 2 gauge and has no earth. This concerns me as the casing for the lamp is made from eBay appears to be metal/ brass! Also there is a what looks to be cylindrical piece or cardboard between the bulb and lamp holder on the inside! What is that for? I’m from the UK

In recent days, I've heard of a few people being supplied electrical items with non-UK plugs. Probably this is more of a risk on somewhere like eBay, where many sellers are not in the UK, even if they pretend to be.

If the equipment is Class II, it will not be earthed, and instead relies on double insulation (or reinforced insulation). This is more common with a plastic housing / casing, but can be done with a metal construction, so long as the manufacturer does properly provide double insulation. Sometimes they don't seem to do a very good job, and I would suggest if inspected or tested, it would not pass.

if the cardboard is a permanent feature of the light fitting (rather than just packaging for transport) and is relied upon for Class II status, I'd suggest it might not be fit for purpose. Cardboard has no insulation properties that can be relied upon. Perhaps post a photo (if you can, of late people seem to have trouble doing this).

In recent days, I've heard of a few people being supplied electrical items with non-UK plugs. Probably this is more of a risk on somewhere like eBay, where many sellers are not in the UK, even if they pretend to be.

If the equipment is Class II, it will not be earthed, and instead relies on double insulation (or reinforced insulation). This is more common with a plastic housing / casing, but can be done with a metal construction, so long as the manufacturer does properly provide double insulation. Sometimes they don't seem to do a very good job, and I would suggest if inspected or tested, it would not pass.

if the cardboard is a permanent feature of the light fitting (rather than just packaging for transport) and is relied upon for Class II status, I'd suggest it might not be fit for purpose. Cardboard has no insulation properties that can be relied upon. Perhaps post a photo (if you can, of late people seem to have trouble doing this).
I cannot add a photo but this is a very similar looking lamp Vintage Industrial Retro Single Socket Table Bedside Light Desk Lamp Wooden b | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223757689301

There is quite a lot of exposed metal there, so it would need to be well engineered inside to properly achieve double-insulation Class II standards.

Given the direct-from-China-via-eBay route, and no one in the UK responsible as the importer for the appropriate quality standards, I personally would not trust it without a proper inspection.

That particular example has a non-compliant E27 lampholder, so MUST be connected the correct way round - as an example to the OP - What colours were the cable cores? You must get the brown/blue to Line/Neutral - irrespective of the earthing that could be fatal if connected incorrectly as it would place the live on the screw thread - which is metallic!

(And that cardboard is the only insulation between this live conductor and the metallic outside - as a single layer of [less than]basic insulation it cannot be class II as pc has already alluded to - I completely agree!)

That particular example has a non-compliant E27 lampholder, so MUST be connected the correct way round - as an example to the OP - What colours were the cable cores? You must get the brown/blue to Line/Neutral - irrespective of the earthing that could be fatal if connected incorrectly as it would place the live on the screw thread - which is metallic!

(And that cardboard is the only insulation between this live conductor and the metallic outside - as a single layer of [less than]basic insulation it cannot be class II as pc has already alluded to - I completely agree!)
The cable colours are blue and brown, with the brown wire going to a 13A fuse. And no wire going to the main long plug of the socket!
[automerge]1588852027[/automerge]

Good, that is correct as long as it is wired the right way round in the lampholder.

The lack of earth (actually correctly called a CPC) would be a concern.

Without examining it difficult to say, but it looks to have insufficient insulation to pass for class II therefore it falls into class I - which requires an earth; I would also like to check it is the correct way round internally, or better still use a compliant lampholder to BSEN60238; check the suitability of the cable; and check the additional insulation to prevent cable damage as it enters, and passes through the internals.

Good, that is correct as long as it is wired the right way round in the lampholder.

Without examining it difficult to say, but it looks to have insufficient insulation to pass for class II therefore it falls into class I - which requires an earth; I would also like to check it is the correct way round internally, or better still use a compliant lampholder to BSEN60238; check the suitability of the cable; and check the additional insulation to prevent cable damage as it enters, and passes through the internals.
Is it a CPC in an appliance flex?

I would say so; there again I had no problems when we used to call the cpc the earth wire!

It still forms part of the circuit, it's only purpose is protection, and it's a conductor...

But terminology tends to be driven by fads so who knows really.

Perhaps we should all contribute to an organisation that takes fees, provides documentation (providing you buy at the inflated price every time there is any change), and they can pay a handsome sum to another market research company who will come up with a snazzy new term we could use, now we have migrated to the latest one?

Is it a CPC in an appliance flex?
Sorry I don’t know what the means :(
[automerge]1588881346[/automerge]
Has it got a CE mark?
Where would that be
[automerge]1588881421[/automerge]

The base of the actual lamp holder seem to be made of plastic or definitely feels like it, but I’m pretty sure the top section is made of metal where the bulb screws in
[automerge]1588882028[/automerge]

On the side of the actual lamp holder part this is what it says
250V 250W
E255576 A 28BV
Then a marking that says
PRESS
C UL(R) US
LISTED

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the markings don't really mean anything, obviously to the manufacturer it does, but outside of that not really other than it's suitable for 250Volts and up to 250Watt.

As for a CE mark it's a recognised mark indicating that it meets certain standards - unfortunately it's often faked by China based goods (along with other places).

The CPC / earth terminology thing is just a bit of a technological discussion point - it means nothing outside of the electrical field!

UL Listed (if it really is, as the marking may be fake) means it has been tested to meet USA safety standards. If the lamp as a whole does not have a correctly applied and valid CE mark, it should not be sold in Europe. It certainly should not be sold in the UK with a non-UK plug, although if you purchased it from outside the UK it starts getting into a grey area.

I have seen many of these chinese light fittings marked as class 2 with metal that appears to be an exposed conductive part . they usually attempt to add a second layer of insulation with a plastic insert , in my opinion this is not satisfactory and it should be class 1 with a CPC (earth) . i always advise if its metal and has a flat or figure of 8 cable (2 core) then do not use especially without a tested RCD.
the chinese now add there own CE mark which means china export

Reply to Uk Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock