Discuss UKPN or EDF??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I've just been to a call out, customer reports a smell of burning before loss of power.

I ascertain that one of two main fuses has gone and there is a slightly charred look about the old VIR cable as it enters the second service head in the flat. Both fuses sealed and I'm not going to start cutting and checking the fuses as I know that this will involve DNO. I'll add that there is no fault here on the consumer's side.

As the crude drawing below shows, there is a main intake with three 80A (or so it says) fuses on the bottom floor in a service cupboard, from there the supply to flat 3 is VIR with a metric csa of between 8-10mm running up through conduit to a rather naff second service head in the flat. EDF have been out within the last week to replace the meter tails because of a burning smell and due to their complete incompetence have upgraded from the second service head to the meter completely ignoring the charred VIR entering the second service head.

I phoned UKPN first to double check that their responsibility ends at the very first service head which they confirmed. Then I was on the phone to EDF to get an engineer out to replace the fuse and also to look at replacing the VIR to which their response was "It's nothing to do with us, it's down to either UKPN or the freeholder to replace"????

I argued the ---- on behalf of the customer but they weren't having it, anyway, my understanding has always been that UKPN cover the supply to the main intake, the DNO cover from the service head to and including the meter and everything after is the consumer's responsibility. My argument was that the second service head in the flat is confusing the issue surrounding responsibility and that the supplier's meter tails go from the main intake to the meter. Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the direction of clear information regarding this matter?

Flat.png

I would say if the second service head and meter have been provided by the DNO, then it's obviously there property and their responsibility to maintain the said installation!!

In a not dissimilar situation in Scottish Power's area, they normally replaced the VIR tails (and usually upgrade the second cutout too).

Having said that, over the past few months, I'm finding the service provided by SP is getting poorer, with greater used of subs (IQA) who frankly do as little as possible. I can't help but feel that Iberdrola, the owners of SP, are trying to keep costs down as they try to sell SP.

Regards.

Check it out with the electrical ombudsman!! How can you (client) or anyone else be responsible for an installation that has seals at either end of the tails??

I have left it in the customers hands. I drafted an email for him to send to EDF and then pointed him in the direction of the ombudsman if he has no luck. Essentially though they are not complying with the ESQCRs. I wished him the best of luck but it's out of my hands now. I can't think of anything else I could have done for him?

Well, Wednesday is the day. I'm running new tails from the service head on the ground floor to the flat on the third. 50m x 16mm 2 core SWA. Fun fun fun! New switch fuse at the bottom and isolator at the top. The customer said he needs the job doing and is happy to pay asap to have it done and then persue EDF for a refund at a later date. EDF and UKPN have both said that they are not responsible for the tails (which we all know is a load of tosh) but it essentially gives me free reign to do as I please with regard to ripping out service heads they claim not to own :D

EDF and UKPN have both said that they are not responsible for the tails (which we all know is a load of tosh) but it essentially gives me free reign to do as I please with regard to ripping out service heads they claim not to own :D
Hope you have that in writing!!

I would entirely agree with you, if the upper "service head" is dicey then it is not UKPN's and so down to the supplier (as it is before the meter).

Hope the work goes well and no one queries it afterward!

Reply to UKPN or EDF??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net