Discuss Un-usual 3 phase problem in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd be sneaky and put the meter on a different phase and tell everybody who'll listen that you have changed the system to stop people having free electric, even though it is a load of crock! Then when they turn off the radiators they think use the money. They still be charged. HeHe

Rotate the control phase on a regular basis? If legal (#26). Wont solve it completely but will certainly put a spanner in the mix. I think ?

Last edited:
If any alterations are made they have to comply with http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Resaleofgasandelectricity.aspx
I’m surprised the landlord hasn’t ended up in court all ready.

The maximum amount landlords or “resellers” are permitted to charge for gas or electricity is the amount they have paid for it, plus VAT at the appropriate rate; this is termed the Maximum Resale Price or MRP. Any standing charges can be recovered by the Landlord by dividing it on a pro-rata basis according to usage between all the tenants.

Tony, I,ve a client who is splitting an old works into a couple of ind. units with individual office units upstairs. Your info leads me to believe that each office would have to be metered individually to comply. Correct? He intends to include costs in rent which would be approx not exact.

The OP says that this is a hall used by the public for hire. According to the "Guidance for Resellers" document, the rules only apply when the electricity is for domestic use.

I would just fit a coin operated timer and contactor. Maybe add a notice that heat is charged on a timed basis only, irrespective of the number of heaters actually switched on.

Tony, I,ve a client who is splitting an old works into a couple of ind. units with individual office units upstairs. Your info leads me to believe that each office would have to be metered individually to comply. Correct? He intends to include costs in rent which would be approx not exact.

Start this as a new thread, otherwise

View attachment 8194

Well this thread really put all to the test. The latest update is after googling my pc to death i came across this site which has given me a lifeline to recover my sanity. not the best option but not far away. 3 Phase Electric Prepayment Metering

I would like to thank all that put forward their thoughts on this one, it was appreciated, and some good points raised that i would not have thought of.

will also let you know the outcome. good or bad.

Terry

Just seen this thread but sorted out similar problem, with light industrial unit, solution via Matrix Metering this morning.
not cheap but more simple than using 3 single phase card meters 2 415v relays and a 3 pole contactor !

Coin operated timer and contactor

The maximum amount landlords or “resellers” are permitted to charge for gas or electricity is the amount they have paid for it, plus VAT at the appropriate rate

If however you are selling heat not power dose this apply

gaz

Last edited:
I used to hire our village hall on a regular basis. The hire fee included heating be it summer or winter.

The only thing that wasn’t included was the barman, opening the bar was extra!

Reply to Un-usual 3 phase problem in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net