Discuss Unidentified issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am struggling with a problem for what i cannot find any solution.
I have an Opel Astra H 1.3 CDTI form 2008 and started to have some issues for a while.

The situation is the following:
My battery died on a morning, it was strange since the battery is only 3 months old. I took it back to warranty, they have checked everything and the battery health is ok.
My alternator charge is 14.3V and i have 10mA usage in stand by.
My battery is still in warranty, and in meantime they gave me a battery to use while the other one is in service.
The problem is that this battery also discharges, It went from 12.5V to 12.36V, so i think there might be some problems that i need to investigate.

Since the charging is in parameters at the battery terminals are fine, I thought that might be some problems with the electrical circuit of the battery, but i thought i should ask first, maybe someone has this situation also before.

Do you have any ideas what should i check?

Many thanks

Do you just do short runs using headlights, heaters ect? Your battery amp hour rating may not be sufficient to keep the battery charged enough for the cold starting current.

is there a standing load that is draining the battery while the engine is off, either a fault on the car wiring or an accessory that has been added.

Usually, i do short rides, like 20km/day (50-60 minutes).
I have no loads when the engine is off, i have checked this and no accessory has been mounted on the car since i have it. That's why i am confused. I will check the wiring from the alternator to battery to see if there is something wrong or oxide

Do you have a Diesel particle filter (DPF) , is cooling fan (if it even has one-!) Running on after medium-hard drive!

In your short journeys do stop start much? 50 to 60mins for 20km seem like short journeys or heave traffic. If this is the case are the headlights and other high draw accessories on ?
As @Vortigern , it is important as to how you are measuring for parasitic draw, as you could be missing it by method.

A small engined car like yours will likely have a low amp hour battery and you will not have much leeway if it it not getting a substantial charge.
[automerge]1580327741[/automerge]
In your short journeys do stop start much? 50 to 60mins for 20km seem like short journeys or heave traffic. If this is the case are the headlights and other high draw accessories on ?
As @Vortigern , it is important as to how you are measuring for parasitic draw, as you could be missing it by method.

A small engined car like yours will likely have a low amp hour battery and you will not have much leeway if it it not getting a substantial charge.
Just a footnote.. Although your alternator seems ok - is the belt adjusted properly? There should not be a lot of play on it.

Last edited:
Try disconnecting the battery overnight and reconnect just before you want to start it, this will at least confirm or deny a battery problem

if it starts in the morning it is likely to be due to some load being placed on it when it is connected, however a faulty battery can discharge itself when not connected to anything, due to its internal resistance.

Reply to Unidentified issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock