Currently reading:
Upgrade breaker for induction hob?

Discuss Upgrade breaker for induction hob? in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nessab16

Hello. Please could I double check something as I have zero clue about electrics. I have a 32a breaker on its own circuit currently feeding my 5.9kw hob. I'm upgrading to a 7.35 induction hob. My electrician said I NEEDED to upgrade my breaker as it definitely wasn't ok to use on the 7.35kw induction hob. Anyway, he asked for the money upfront for the parts which I have done a few times already with him, but now he has not come back! my own fault but please could someone tell me if I actually needed to upgrade it in the first place? Or if he intended to just rip me off? Thank you for any advice at all

I wouldn't have been worrying about upgrading a 32A device to accommodate a 7.35kW load. We are allowed to apply diversity to cooking appliances which would probably mean we could get away with a smaller device but I suspect the appliance installation manual may state it should be installed on it's own circuit on a 32A circuit breaker.

As for the spark who hasn't returned... if he's advertising etc. report him to trading standards, and in future I wouldn't pay up front for anything unless it's a huge commercial job. Most of us will have lines of credit with our suppliers... and a of protective devices are less than £20 so they aren't going to break the bank without credit.

Thank you so much for your reply. He did one job perfect..... then next job feel he completely took advantage and charged extra on top of what was originally quoted, as he was going along. Then added this at the end.

It's currently on its own circuit so I'm pretty sure its all ok as it is by the sounds of it.

He replaced the wire from the socket to the ceiling with 10mm, looked like same size as what was already there though but did not replace to the main board and didn't replace from socket to hob? So I think he was just doing it to look like he was doing something.

Definitely learnt my lesson!!
Thank you

Would this habe been a fair price for parts
He text....

Hi. The new fuse breaker and cable and joint kit to upgrade the cooker circuit comes to £118. I'll do it within the time I've allocated so won't cost you anymore if that's OK. If this is OK I'll send the invoice for materials like before. Just let me know. Thanks

Then sent....

Hi That price is for new rcbo 40amp new cable to outlet and cable to feed cooker outlet, 45amp switch as original is only good for 32amps and Ip rated accessible joint box. Hope this clarifys better.

IP rated joint box?

Where is this cooker? outside?

7.35kW / 230V is still under 32A (just!) Even with all 4 rings on... it MIGHT trip the rcbo, but more than likely wont. The diversity taken into account would cancel out any derating factors due to length of cable, and if it runs through insulation etc...

So has he done ANY work? OP says not, but #3 mentions work done.
Whether it was technically needed or not, if he has done work, then payment is due, unfortunately.

He replaced a wire from hob socket to ceiling and connected using a junction box... that's all. Labour was Included with another hob he did for me installing spot lights. He has not fitted the breaker and I do not have the goods either. He charged £118 for materials only as listed in his message abov he's not replying to messages for me to collect the materials I paid for including the breaker. Either way I now know for definite I've been ripped off. I appreciate all your replies.

Why do I have a funny feeling that this guy is not great with providing invoices and certificates?

If I am doing a favour for family or friends I will sometimes give them a parts list and come and do it or help them when it suits us both.

for any proper work, it will always be payment sometime after completion.

as mentioned above, large commercial / industrial jobs with parts bills of 1000's may require some payment before completion but i normally do that by asking my supplier to invoice the customer direct.

He sounds slightly less than professional to me.

Why do I have a funny feeling that this guy is not great with providing invoices and certificates?

If I am doing a favour for family or friends I will sometimes give them a parts list and come and do it or help them when it suits us both.

for any proper work, it will always be payment sometime after completion.

as mentioned above, large commercial / industrial jobs with parts bills of 1000's may require some payment before completion but i normally do that by asking my supplier to invoice the customer direct.

He sounds slightly less than professional to me.
He hasn't provided any certificates, including previous work. He sends invoices when he needs paying.but no vat registration number etc on them..... he also gave me a price over the phone, then changed it later on making out he'd already told me. Honestly I've definitely been stupid by paying upfront for the parts.... especially now I know I didn't even need to upgrade the breaker in the 1st place. Live and learn I guess.
Thanks you for your reply

Reply to Upgrade breaker for induction hob? in the Ireland area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock