Discuss Upside Down UK Plug Socket - Is This Normal/Ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joking aside (thanks I did LOL at some of the jokes). Is this really ok? I’m concerned that if we use it then there could be issues. I think the best thing is to cover it but not sure!

Is this really ok? I’m concerned that if we use it then there could be issues.
Provided no cables are strained, etc, it is fine, just unconventional. FYI the sockets on some trains are that way for the same sort of reasons, just labelled to explain it!

If it worries you then a lower desk, or some spacer so it is not hard against the wall, would allow a conventional solution.

Provided no cables are strained, etc, it is fine, just unconventional. FYI the sockets on some trains are that way for the same sort of reasons, just labelled to explain it!

If it worries you then a lower desk, or some spacer so it is not hard against the wall, would allow a conventional solution.
Thanks, unfortunately we can’t lower the desk as it’s fixed. We will sort it one way or another!

Well, the socket seems to work fine and have actually found that there is less strain on the cables with the socket orientated this way. The socket is hidden by a PC monitor now, so at least we don't have to look at it!

only problem could be that the electriccs leak down through grVITY TO THE EARTH PIN, THUS CAUSU=ING YOUR rcd TO TRIP.

Hi all,

Just recently moved into a renovated house in the UK where a desk is quite high, so the plug socket above it has had to be put in upside down! Other than a bad case of OCD, is this normal/ok?

Please see attached photo.

View attachment 111188

Cheers,

Will
giphy.gif

Hi all, so quick update on this. I rotated the socket earlier (making sure the circuit was isolated). Some plugs fit fine (like a Lenovo tablet charger for example), but obviously some don't due to there being next to no clearance between the desk and socket (see image). For the plugs that don't fit, what is the safest way to get around this? Is it best to use a cube or something like a T plug extension? Thanks for your help!

387321966_342414195077653_3076887908871553809_n.jpg

Hi all, so quick update on this. I rotated the socket earlier (making sure the circuit was isolated). Some plugs fit fine (like a Lenovo tablet charger for example), but obviously some don't due to there being next to no clearance between the desk and socket (see image). For the plugs that don't fit, what is the safest way to get around this? Is it best to use a cube or something like a T plug extension? Thanks for your help!

387321966_342414195077653_3076887908871553809_n.jpg

Cube adaptors are best avoided. And I'm not a fan of the t-type ones either. Use a good quality 4 way strip type one with a lead.

Cube adaptors are best avoided. And I'm not a fan of the t-type ones either. Use a good quality 4 way strip type one with a lead.
problem with that is the flex lead coming out the plug being squashed against the worktop there.

a cube adaptor for this situation, propping it up underneath so its not falling out the socket due to gravity.

problem with that is the flex lead coming out the plug being squashed against the worktop there.

a cube adaptor for this situation, propping it up underneath so its not falling out the socket due to gravity.

Good point. I'd forgot what the original problem was!!

Yeah cube type is ok if it's supported as littlespark says. Make sure it's a fused one though.

Reply to Upside Down UK Plug Socket - Is This Normal/Ok? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net