Discuss using voltmeter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hashimaba

What will happen if we use a voltmeter to measure current in a circuit. I mean if we connect our voltmeter leads at different points on current carraying wire/coil?

To measure current with a multimeter you need to connect it in series with the load your measuring. Be aware most multimeters have different sockets to connect your leads into for measuring current and they are normally limited to about 10 amps. Get a clampmeter its far easier.

What will happen if we use a voltmeter to measure current in a circuit. I mean if we connect our voltmeter leads at different points on current carraying wire/coil?

Voltmeters only measure voltage (the potential difference between each probe.)

The diffence with an ampmeter is that you are basically placing a low value shunt resistor in series with the load, and the voltage across the resistor is measured by the meter.
This is why you have different connectors for volts & amps on multimeters.

If you measure across a circuit (as you do for voltage) while the mulitmeter is set for amps then it is the equivalent of placing the shunt resistor across the supply.
So make sure your meter is properly fused :)

As Steve1412 says a clampmeter is far easier and will also measure higher current ranges.
Plus its better to have seperate volt and amp meters to prevent you soiling your pants :D

Reply to using voltmeter in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I've just picked one of these up on a famous auction site. The voltages, low and high resistance ranges all appear to be working fine but it's not...
Replies
Views
Having a challenge understanding the concept behind why when you measure across line and neutral (live circuit) using voltage indicators we have...
Replies
Views
I am currently making a scaled model display that uses 16 LED in a series and I would like to wire it up to be on one switch, so I need a single...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
I have an inground pool with a 22 year old, 120vac light fixture in a niche connected to water-holding conduit running to a switch in an...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock