Discuss Vacuum pump rating for drain sucker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening Gents,
I have been tasked with designing an electrical system that will suck water from drains about 3 metres down.does anyone know of a vacuum pump that will do the job, that operates at either 24V DC or 48V DC.

Thanks
Sparky 63

By vacuum pump, do you mean to evacuate air from a tank into which the water will be sucked, or do you want to pump the water itself? If so:

What flow rate? Solids handling? Dry running capability? Duty cycle? Pressure head?....

Hi there ,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I need to evacuate the air to enable water to be sucked into it. The hose diameter is approx 38mm and the hose approximately 3metres long.
thanks

Sparky 63

Not sure how you will do so on such a low voltage , but you may find a company called Fullwood from Shropshire may be able to help with the pump and vessel side of things .
They make and supply milking machines and have a vast experience of vacuum systems in hostile environments ( cow s""t ! ).

I used to do work for a firm that does drain work and have some experience of these machines,what you need to remember is that a vacuum is created in the tank and then when the valve is opened there is one large gulp,rather like taking a deep breath and it is in this one gulp that the gully has to be emptied,rather than a continuous suck like a hoover.If you don,t collect all the waste in that first gulp then you have to wait until the vacuum has built up before having another go,this may be why they use large engine driven pumps on the gully cleaners.I think you would be hard pushed to achieve the same effect using the system that you describe.

I used to do work for a firm that does drain work and have some experience of these machines,what you need to remember is that a vacuum is created in the tank and then when the valve is opened there is one large gulp,rather like taking a deep breath and it is in this one gulp that the gully has to be emptied,rather than a continuous suck like a hoover.If you don,t collect all the waste in that first gulp then you have to wait until the vacuum h9as built up before having another go,this may be why they use large engine driven pumps on the gully cleaners.I think you would be hard pushed to achieve the same effect using the system that you describe.

Good point Phil , but it does depend on the medium that you are extracting as well .
If it is a liquid / slurry then as long as you have built up that reserve of vacuum in the first place , as long as your vacuum pump is suitably sized and powered it will easily hold it until you hit air .

If you are just sucking reasonably dry product , then I believe it is also possible but you will need a massive amount of constant vacuum .

When I went to pick up our last new mole a couple of years ago ( Trenchless Technologies ) from Grundomat , the manufactures in Bedford , they had a new toy there that they were developing , it was like a road sweeper but had something like a 400HP engine on the back coupled to a massive turbine / vac pump going to a movable down pipe of about a foot in diameter , the idea was to use it to literally suck the ground straight up instead of using a machine or tools to dig around services . Although it was 2 or 3 years ago now and my memory is getting worse by the day ! I am sure the old boy who showed it me said it would even lift tarmac !

I have not yet had a go on Google for it but , I am sure it will be there .

Reply to Vacuum pump rating for drain sucker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net