Discuss Volt stick gives "false" reading in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm not an electrician but have worked as a mate and know my limitations. To fit a new light in a bedroom (loop at ceiling rose), I isolated the supply at the CU and tested supply at ceiling rose with Fluke T150, obviously no voltage detected between L and N or L and CPC (safe isolation - near enough, I was the only person in the house). Out of interest I also tested using a Kewtech Duo volt stick and got a "reading" from the Neutral. I realise that only the live conductor is isolated at the MCB so was this "back feed", if so can someone explain please?

If you rub a volt stick on your jumper it lights up.
Follow proper safe isolation procedures using the correct tools.

Thanks for your replies. I understand what safe isolation is and voltsticks are only an indication and never to be used to assume circuit is dead. As I said I used a Fluke T150 to test the circuit was actually safe to work on.

Duo volt stick and got a "reading" from the Neutral. I realise that only the live conductor is isolated at the MCB so was this "back feed", if so can someone explain please?

If it was a backfeed then it would have shown up when you tested it properly, and the lighting circuit wouldn't have worked properly in the first place.

This will most likely have been due to capacitive coupling, though this normally happens on disconnected cables. Did you check the polarity of the supply at any point?

If it was a backfeed then it would have shown up when you tested it properly, and the lighting circuit wouldn't have worked properly in the first place.

This will most likely have been due to capacitive coupling, though this normally happens on disconnected cables. Did you check the polarity of the supply at any point?
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did test between L/N, L/E and N/CPC and got the expected results. I'll need to think this through.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did test between L/N, L/E and N/CPC and got the expected results. I'll need to think this through.

Do you mean you tested for polarity and it was ok or that you tested for isolation?

Do you mean you tested for polarity and it was ok or that you tested for isolation?
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I isolated the MCB at the CU and tested for isolation at the ceiling rose (L/N, L/cpc, N/cpc) so no, I didn't test for polarity at the ceiling rose.

Reply to Volt stick gives "false" reading in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock