Search the forum,

Discuss voltage operated elcb, nuisance tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

CJB

-
Reaction score
Advice needed please, I was called out last week to a nuiscance tripping problem with an old elcb, IR tests showed up a L-E fault on ring circuit, finaly traced the fault to a wall light run off ring circuit which was shorting out in the socket. I disconnected this, put everything back together ,carried out tests again and had good results. Happy days!
I had a phone call today , its tripping again!! it was ok all weekend.
Going back tomorrow for another look, do some more testing, pat test the appliances etc, is there anything else I should be looking at, any ideas welcome. Are these old trips prone to tripping, is there any way it can be tested.
Thanks in advance.

don't bother testing it, bin it and replace with RCD unless you can get the client to pay for a CU change.

telectrix isn't just giving good advice, it's in the statutory document ... page 36 Part P.

If it helps show them the page to convince them :)

Thanks for the replies, they will be having the c.u. replaced fairly soon. Carried out some more testing this morning, they have a surge protector extension lead with 0.3 Meg ins. test , disconnected this and hopefully no more tripping.

0.3M is usually a neon light.

corect me if I am wrong but if only 1 main RCD it should be a time delay unit (normaly 100mA as well) do you guys actually replace these old voltage "rcd's" with 100mA time delay RCD's or just put in a 30mA std rcd? I ask since the time delay ones are quite pricey. I tend to convince the owner to go for a new dual rcd board, especially when comparred to the cost of a time delay 100mA.

FYI

Testing a VOELCB for correct operation requires the use of a double wound transformer having an output voltage not exceeding 50V rms a.c. to be applied across the neutral and frame terminals of the VOELCB. The object is to check that the device trips 'instantaneously' (which is defined as being with 100ms in BS 842, the product standard for VOELCB's).

Anyone here got one of those in the van?

Me neither.

A Short term solution is to replace with a 100ma RCD (£18.33 Inc VAT from TLC Direct) and a 2 Module Enclosure (£4.69 Inc VAT from TLC Direct) and advise that a board change is required. That way you've left it no less safe than it was. But usually where there's a ELCB there's a wylex board, so if they can afford it, CU upgrade.

FYI

Testing a VOELCB for correct operation requires the use of a double wound transformer having an output voltage not exceeding 50V rms a.c. to be applied across the neutral and frame terminals of the VOELCB. The object is to check that the device trips 'instantaneously' (which is defined as being with 100ms in BS 842, the product standard for VOELCB's).

Anyone here got one of those in the van?

Me neither.

Funny you should say I do have an old Clare tester secreted among other dilapidated items of rubbish in my garage, perhaps i'm waiting for all this stuff to come back in vogue.

If you supply the batteries, and get it calibrated, oh how I miss non calibrated days, then it's hirable for a small fee widdler ;)

Funny you should say I do have an old Clare tester secreted among other dilapidated items of rubbish in my garage, perhaps i'm waiting for all this stuff to come back in vogue.

If you supply the batteries, and get it calibrated, oh how I miss non calibrated days, then it's hirable for a small fee widdler ;)
try it on ebay under antiques and collectables

Reply to voltage operated elcb, nuisance tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock