Discuss WASHING MACHINE REPAIR ADVICE PLEASE in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

it's difficult to say. it may be that the motor is burnt out as well as the control panel fault. in your case I would ask the engineer (politely) if he could take back the new motor and give you a partial refund, as the cost of fixing the machine is uneconomical.

Just to add, we don't know the hot end of a soldering iron from the cold end, that's why I'm trying to gather information from appliance engineers on here.

There is no quick fix anymore. The old machine is dead. It was dead before he told us we needed a motor. When he fitted the new motor and then discovered it still wasn't working due to the failed triac, he said boards/control module replacements are too expensive to bother with, and we should give up on the machine.

We've had to order a new washer. The only way we can cut our losses even a little is if we gather enough opinion suggesting he should have spotted or detected the knackered triac when he came out and told us we needed a new motor - and get him to refund the cost of that motor - which unused, he cam come and take away to potentially use on a future job.

Just to add, we don't know the hot end of a soldering iron from the cold end, that's why I'm trying to gather information from appliance engineers on here.

There is no quick fix anymore. The old machine is dead. It was dead before he told us we needed a motor. When he fitted the new motor and then discovered it still wasn't working due to the failed triac, he said boards/control module replacements are too expensive to bother with, and we should give up on the machine.

We've had to order a new washer. The only way we can cut our losses even a little is if we gather enough opinion suggesting he should have spotted or detected the knackered triac when he came out and told us we needed a new motor - and get him to refund the cost of that motor - which unused, he cam come and take away to potentially use on a future job.
that was what i said in my last post.

In my opinion the fault was not properly diagnosed and you have ended up out of pocket.
The repair he made was not a fit repair and so you should not have to pay for his misdiagnosis.
Replacing parts as a means of diagnosing a fault is a poor way to go about things.
I would put this to him in writing and tell him what you expect him to do about it.

or... if you can find someone that can repair to component level, replacing that triac should not cost more than about £60 ( that's what I would charge if I was within a few miles of you). assuming it's only the triac, but they are a common failure. had similar in a Li-Ion drill battery pack.that was a thyristor or another type of SCR.

Must be go wrong January. Our Samsung washing machine has just played up and is failing to drain. I’m hoping it’s just the drain pump which looks fairly easy to replace. Suspect it was down to filter getting gunked up with dog hair and pump running dry?

Must be go wrong January. Our Samsung washing machine has just played up and is failing to drain. I’m hoping it’s just the drain pump which looks fairly easy to replace. Suspect it was down to filter getting gunked up with dog hair and pump running dry?
might just even be blocked. check also the connection of the waste pipe into the sink drain ( if it goes there). that can block up also.

In my opinion the fault was not properly diagnosed and you have ended up out of pocket.
The repair he made was not a fit repair and so you should not have to pay for his misdiagnosis.
Replacing parts as a means of diagnosing a fault is a poor way to go about things.
I would put this to him in writing and tell him what you expect him to do about it.

This about sums up the situation from the perspective of consumer law, about which many professionals are inadequately informed.

There is no doubting the fact that repairs can often be complex and involve consequential failures, but this needs to be made clear in writing before any work commences - otherwise householders have a reasonable expectation that whatever work is quoted for will resolve their problem.

David Savery had this problem. You should watch his YouTube video of him trying to fix it, it's hilarious!

With multiple faults/failures, you have to start somewhere, the guy could have diagnosed the circuit board first (lets just say), but the motor was still burnt out, so the cost will still be the same no difference, if the motor was not fitted you might have been less out of pocket but still with a useless machine.

With multiple faults/failures, you have to start somewhere, the guy could have diagnosed the circuit board first (lets just say), but the motor was still burnt out, so the cost will still be the same no difference, if the motor was not fitted you might have been less out of pocket but still with a useless machine.

Not really possible to diagnose a fault on a board, where a) you have no real reason to suspect it's faulty, b) you know that the load it drives is faulty, and c) you have no circuit or information on the board in question.

This reminds me of an incident several years ago, where some consumer organisation (may have been Which?), decided to check TV/video repairers (which I was, as a sideline at the time) for honesty.
To do this, they fitted a deliberately blown fuse inside of several identical video recorders and sent them off for repair, to various places.
The 'cowboys' who just replaced the fuse and returned the VCR for little more than their minimum charge were praised, whereas the 'real' engineers, who tried in vain to find a 'real' fault, or replaced other components that could be complicit in blowing the fuse in question, were lambasted for bumping up the bill with unnecessary work.
This is really the opposite of the this thread, but illustrates the dilemma a repair engineer faces.

It's the age old problem of assuming that only one fault is present, when the initial fault can often cause consequential damage or might even lead a repairer up the wrong path entirely. It is for this very reason that most (franchised) garages will insist on running diagnostic tests on (what appear to be) very minor faults and will require you to authorise a minimum of 1hr diagnostic time.

Hi. Sorry, no truth economics intended.

OK so it's a Candy washer. It made a pop mid cycle and stopped working, and there was a smell like burning metal. We communicated this to the engineer.

We contacted Candy, who didn't respond in time to do anything, we had washing piling up. We then approached AO who told us to get an engineer out.

Having been told be a few sources that the fault on the board could have been detected and we needn't have spent £135 on a new motor for a dead machine, I'm just trying to find out if that's the case.

If the consensus is that the main fault should have been spotted, I'll be suggesting that the engineer keeps all his labour & callout fees, but refunds us on the motor, which is unused, sitting in a dead washer, and he may be able to use it on a future job if he wants to come and collect it.

And if opinion says not, I'll be doing nothing.

*Sorry, more details. At first he said we needed a new motor, and once we'd paid him to supply and fit the motor, he tried to run the machine then told us something called a TRIAC had gone.
Looking at all of your replies if you put as much effort into persuing Candy or Haier who own Candy or even AO who sold you the machine you may have had a better outcome but instead you are spending an inordinate amount of time looking for bullets to fire because an engineer you engaged failed to repair your machine
I had a similar experience recently and managed to get the manufacturer to repair a 13 month old cooker that developed a few problems and also the main oven element failed I didn't think was reasonable wear and tear and persuaded them to fix it FOC it took a number of phone calls and about 4 weeks to sort, yes it was a little inconvenient but the bottom line was it was fixed at no cost to me

Reply to WASHING MACHINE REPAIR ADVICE PLEASE in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock