Discuss What forms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a job to do go that should of been simple. Replace two broken sockets, change a single socket to a double and change two duff downlight transformers.

The home owners had had a conservatory added about 5 years ago. One of the sockets to change was in the old house, it was on the ring but the line was broken. The other socket was in the new conservatory. All the sockets in the conservatory had no earth. What the F. Amazingly, what had happened was that someone had extended the ring into the conservatory from a socket in the original house. They had extended the line and neutral but had messed up with the CPC. They connected the CPC such that the original house CPC ring was in tact and the conservatory had its own CPC ring but not connected back to the CU. An easy fix once found

As for the broken ring on the line, I narrowed it down to a cable between two sockets. So after agreeing with the lady of the house, this cable was disconnected and i swapped the MCB from a 32A to a 16A (couldnt use a 20A as the Zs was too high). So i filled out a minor work cert, job done or so i thought. Question 1- is this notifiable?

I then received a phone call from the lady of house telling me a socket doesnt work. So i go round there and the man of the house shows me this socket that is hidden (the lady of the house didnt know it was there). To get to it you have to take some drawers out. I did ask the lady of the house several times if there were anymore sockets when doing my tests to find the lack of earth and the break on the ring. The owners are lovely people and are quite happy to pay me to fix this problem in additional to my original bill. Now if the broken ring is not to do with fixed wiring but due to a loose connection in this socket (which is loose on the wall) then i can re instate the ring, put the 32A MCB back.
If this is the case should i issue my original minor works cert and then issue another for the now upgrade to 32A mcb or should i scrap the first and just issue a minor work cert for replacing the 2 broken sockets

I'd scrap the first one as you have reinstated the circuit back to it's original installation. Make a note of problems found and any remedial work carried out, just cover your arse basically.

Don't listen to me. I'm a Electrical Trainee and don't know what I'm talking about. :lol:

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Electrical Trainee? As for the question I would only issue one certificate once the works have been successfully completed, and always remember any fault can be found and rectified providing enough testing is carried out.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Electrical Trainee? As for the question I would only issue one certificate once the works have been successfully completed, and always remember any fault can be found and rectified providing enough testing is carried out.

It has become the shortened way to call someone who has been on a 5 week course and been let out as an 'electrician'
5 week wonder

Oh dear, I have heard the expression but failed to put the phonetics together, thanks for the reply.
Yes, we're dangerous and shouldn't be let out unsupervised... :reddevil:

It took me more than 5 weeks just to revise for some of my examinations, and my papers took double that to prepare!
Has for being dangerous I very much doubt that providing you apply what you do know and learn to acknowledge any limitations.
Otherwise I doubt you would be on this forum, the dangerous ones are those under the radar.

The house is a large 4 bed detached. The circuit in question originally served a very large living room, a decent sized dining room and a very large bedroom above. A large conservatory was added at the same time that the garage was converted to 2 small rooms. The ring was extended to provide sockets in the conservatory and these 2 rooms. The break on the ring is such that 2 sockets are one on leg and the rest on the other. The highest Zs was 1.88. A 20amp breaker has a max Zs of 2.3, however once the rule of thumb is applied this max Zs comes down to 1.84. Thus the downgrade of the breaker to 16amp which has a max Zs of 2.29

The house has a newish board. It has one RCD for sockets etc with the lights on the non RCD side. Bonding is 6mm for water, 10mm for gas

I,m going on a course next week, after 3 weeks it allows me to perform brain surgery,any takers? lol

I do understand why some of you guys dont like us 5 week wonders but why do you always use brain surgery to compare to.

Brain surgeons are NOT in the same league as electricians!!!

It possible to go on a course and get your 17th edition, 2392 and 2391 in 4 to 6 weeks. However i do agree that you cant get experience in that time!

This doesnt mean us Electrical Trainee are useless. I personally only do domestic as that is where my experience is!!! I have no experience of 3 phase for example so I dont do 3 phase. Simples!!!

All I will say on this matter is this, there are good and bad amongst all, and providing you do what your comfortable with and competent with then carry on doing what you have an aptitude to do. Well done those who have paid for and gained a qualification denied by government.

not having a go at the individual per se what I object to is the amount of time and training it took to do a proper apprenticeship and all of a sudden someone comes along after doing a short course and thinks they are as good as someone who has done a 5 year apprenticeship,had a guy a few years ago did one got loads of work but kept ringing up for advice how to do the job,yet at the same time telling everyone how good he was.at the end of the day you cant learn as much in a few weeks as you can in five years,and ultimately experience counts.

Reply to What forms? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net