Discuss What work can I do once I've done my level 2? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Domlee

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of work I was able to do once my level 2 is officially complete. I've done my 203 exam and practical and just waiting on the 202 to finish my level 2.

A few people have been asking me to do some basic jobs (moving sockets, adding spurs, new lighting) that sort of thing, but I'm unsure as to what I'm able to do, what work needs to notified, how to notify and who does the testing? I understand that "competance" is an issue here but I feel I am competant although arguably lacking experience.

Am I better to pass on the jobs till I've sorted my level 3 and I'm actually working in the trade ie under someone's guidance.

If you are carrying out the work as a competent person then you carry out the verification, testing, and certification. You will need an in depth working knowledge of the wiring regs, experience of the work you are taking on, and the ability to perform full cable calculations and assess their compliance with the regulations via calculation and testing.

You can notify jobs through a competent persons by joining one or direct to your local building control office. Contact them for details and fees.

The scope of what is notifiable is detailed in part P of the building regs downloadable here Planning Portal - Approved Document P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

You will also need public liability insurance and to declare any income to HMRC.

In my opinion you are much better off working under someone else until you have completed your level 3 at least. There is knowing what you are doing and then there is knowing why you are doing it and how to do it safely.

Thanks for the info Andy.

When you put it like that, I dont think I have anywhere near enough knowledge to go about house bashing at the moment. I guess I will have to pass on any work for now until I feel more confident on the whole.

Cheers.

No worries mate. I know you are keen to get started in this industry and that's great. I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just trying to save you a headache if something went wrong while doing paid work for a customer. You need to be covering your own back in this game, and experience, qualification, and insurance does this job for most.

Reply to What work can I do once I've done my level 2? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net