Discuss What's the most powerful cooker you have had to install? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

My mind is boggling at the moment as I am in the process of quoting to install a cooker, quite a bloomin large one in my opinion but just wondering how large it is in comparison to others.

I must admit, I feel out of my depth on this one as the property already has

2 x 10.8kW shower circuits
3 x 32A circuits (Upstairs, downstairs and kitchen)
1 x 32A cooker circuit
2 x 6A lighting circuits

Installation is TNCS, currently fitted with 16th edition Chint board supplied with 16mm tails and NO bonding to Gas/water.

I've already explained that without the bonding in place and the tails being upgraded I will not be quoting on the job so reluctantly I have been asked to quote for this also.

Due to the demand I see on the current installation I've also mentioned that a clamp measurement would be required before any installation goes ahead. Apparently the main fuse has popped once before :crazy:

I'm seriously wondering if I am wasting my time with this one?:(

The power rating (MAX) of the particular appliance is 17.86kW and needs to be surface mounted in trunking over 15 metres. From what I can see chint only do a 40amp circuit breaker?

Due to lack of knowledge I'm baffled to know how to realistically work out what the demand of this cooker would be. In my mind I believe that this should be installed using an additional RCD protected CU using a 50A circuit breaker

What is the liklehood of this beast actually drawing over 40A whilst in operation?

Could someone help educate me on this one please because as it stands I've already done an about turn and ready to quick-march in the opposite direction:13:

I sincerly appreciate any guidance you guys can offer:dunce:

Regards
1SC

What is the liklehood of this beast actually drawing over 40A whilst in operation?

In a word Slim!!! The diversity on cookers is the main factor when calculating demand.
There are several threads relating to this very same question, so look at the bottom of this page for ''Similar Threads'' Which should answer your question. Then if still confused come back and and explain your confusion to hopefully be given an answer...

the max demand on cookers would require all ovens, grills hobs and anything else to be on, at full power, which on a domestic basis is unlikely as E54 says, unless the homeowner intends to indulge in a bit of DIY gold smelting.

Ive just installed 5 x 26KW commercial ovens, 63A 3ph, get them running and stick a clamp round them they are pulling about 30A a piece

At 18KW, ''connected load'' remember not actual load, use 10mm cable and a 40/45A breaker and that will cover just about anything this cooker can demand from the supply....

The diversity on cookers is the main factor when calculating demand.

17.86kW = 17860 watts divide 230v = 77.65 Amps

take first 10 A and add 30% of fl (77.65 - 30% = 23.3 Amps) = 33.3Amps with Diversity applied ;)

:thumbsup

17.86kW = 17860 watts divide 230v = 77.65 Amps

take first 10 A and add 30% of fl (77.65 - 30% = 23.3 Amps) = 33.3Amps with Diversity applied ;)

:thumbsup

That calculation is for cooker loads upto 15KW, I've just adjusted that formula a little to accommodate an 18KW load.

Off out on site now, so perhaps others can explain the adjustment to the given 15KW calculation...

Reply to What's the most powerful cooker you have had to install? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net