Discuss Which fire rated downlighters? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening,
Feeling really confused about fire rated downlighters. We need 26 for our extension which is part flat ceiling and part vaulted ceiling. It's a kitchen/diner/family room. Have received opposing advice. Builder says just use Screwfix LAP fixed integral LED downlights. One electrician says adjustable downlights are a waste of money and to go for the integral Enlite ones and another says we should go for Enlite but ones that don't have the integrated bulb. There's a BIG price difference between these options so naturally I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely.

Hi BR and welcome :) .
Enlite is a quality brand that I use too. Whether you’d like a unit where you can easily replace the lamp is up to you. If GU10, then their 5W 500 lumen warm white lamp would be my choice. The clearance required behind the light and the effect of nearby insulation also varies between models.

I used to shout about JCC but since they stopped production of the LED10 and Hybrid9's after I was selling them with a 10 year warranty, I wont touch them now.
Collingwood lighting have a good range, their T2Lite are very reasonably priced and tick all the boxes for me. They also have an on-site calculator of which is useful.

if a vaulted ceiling then the ones the spark suggested . you can then adjust the other ones to suit .I would go for the enlite ones
Thanks for your reply. What would be the reason to go for the integral ones rather than the ones with the replaceable bulb? Are you saying there's no point in having adjustable ones?

Evening,
Feeling really confused about fire rated downlighters. We need 26 for our extension which is part flat ceiling and part vaulted ceiling. It's a kitchen/diner/family room. Have received opposing advice. Builder says just use Screwfix LAP fixed integral LED downlights. One electrician says adjustable downlights are a waste of money and to go for the integral Enlite ones and another says we should go for Enlite but ones that don't have the integrated bulb. There's a BIG price difference between these options so naturally I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely.

Personally I supply and fit eco600 downlights made by ecostar, they are a very reliable integrated LED fitting, and at only £27+vat each they are a bargain for the quality of them.

I generally fit downlights with a Gu10 lamp holder so you can change the lamp if required.
The reason behind this is because if an integrated one fails in 5 years and the manufacturer changes their design then you may have to change the whole lot or have an odd light.
Intergrated ones are a better light though..

The negatives of GU10 downlights are that you will need to make sure there is space around the fitting.. you cant cover them with insulation like you can with many of the integrated ones so no good if surrounded by Celotex

I generally fit downlights with a Gu10 lamp holder so you can change the lamp if required.
The reason behind this is because if an integrated one fails in 5 years and the manufacturer changes their design then you may have to change the whole lot or have an odd light.
Intergrated ones are a better light though..

The negatives of GU10 downlights are that you will need to make sure there is space around the fitting.. you cant cover them with insulation like you can with many of the integrated ones so no good if surrounded by Celotex
could not put that any better ,barr barr black sheep.lol.:)

Hi BR and welcome :) .
Enlite is a quality brand that I use too. Whether you’d like a unit where you can easily replace the lamp is up to you. If GU10, then their 5W 500 lumen warm white lamp would be my choice. The clearance required behind the light and the effect of nearby insulation also varies between models.
thank you, lots to think about!

I never fit the integral ones as can run into problems if they discontinue the model and you cant get one to match which means either changing them all or having an odd light,,,,also typical builders answer use Lap cheap screwfix lights........vaulted ceiling if you use adjustable then you can point them down and not have them pointing at a fixed angle which is usually straight in your face

Hello, this one is fire rated and comes with 3 colours temperatures in one fitting warm natural and cool white

ledison-led-lights.co.uk/altair-fire-rated-downlight-8watt-tri-colour-ip44.html

Builder says just use Screwfix LAP fixed integral LED downlights.

I never thought that I'd live to see the day where I agree with a builder, but in this particular instance I would heed his advice and pay a visit to your local Screwfix branch and grab yourself a bargain.

CosmosEco Contractor Packs of Downlights

I've fitted dozens of these downlights and would highly recommend them.

I never thought that I'd live to see the day where I agree with a builder, but in this particular instance I would heed his advice and pay a visit to your local Screwfix branch and grab yourself a bargain.

CosmosEco Contractor Packs of Downlights

I've fitted dozens of these downlights and would highly recommend them.
I wouldn't buy them because they are branded LAP. I'm not saying you're wrong (as I haven't used them) but LAP products aren't something I give the benefit of the doubt to.

I wouldn't buy them because they are branded LAP. I'm not saying you're wrong (as I haven't used them) but LAP products aren't something I give the benefit of the doubt to.
I agree have used LAP before and not a big fan of had 2 faulty spots out of 20 and then also had to replace another 3 within 6 months of install cheap and cheerful at the time but learnt that bottom end price means call backs go for mid range that’s my advice integrated are more expensive but better in long run

Reply to Which fire rated downlighters? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net