Search the forum,

Discuss Why does Electricity need a closed circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

QueenZ

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Why does Electricity need a closed circuit for the current to flow? Especially in AC where electrons are just pushed back and forth... Wouldn't there be current generated in a wire that's moved through a magnetic field?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Why cant there be current until the break of the circuit? you know electrons going back and forth...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]How does it all work? Thanks![/FONT]

Moving electrons have energy, they need a potential difference to flow, this is often created using a generator which is connected to the circuit, as long as the electrons are moving then they will transfer their energy to a 'load'. At least that is my understanding of it anyway ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Archy, that user asked exactly what I'm asking here.... I'll read through it and if I still don't understand it, I'll reply weather here or there. Thanks!

Forget all of that. Its very simple. The conductor, whatever is used or whatever size is filled with electricity at the factory. The bigger the CSA the more you can squeeze in.
After that its just simple magic,
Easy!

It has to 'go' somewhere' for it to be 'flowing'.
Think about how a waterwheel works - the water has to go somewhere for the wheel to be able to turn. That's a bit of a simplistic way of explaining it because it doesn't explain how to the water gets back to where it started, but if the water was just sitting in a reservoir it wouldn't be going anywhere.
With electricity this phenomena is explained using Kirchoff's law

Adam, using your analogy of the waterwheel.
Explain the M. C. Eschler waterwheel.
View attachment 11884
Sorry, but it is an optical illusion.
I’ve got a friend in India that has a colour animated version. I’ll drop him a line and see if he’ll send it to me again. I’ve lost it yet again in my wonderful filing system.

Reply to Why does Electricity need a closed circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net