Discuss Why is my power supply giving more than it says it should? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to electronics and exploring the basics so please please forgive me.

Currently I have a simple circuit with a 12V,1A PSU, bulb and mulitmeter.

When using the multimeter to meaure the bulb's resistance I get 4.5 ohms and then 12V for the voltage across the bulb. According to Ohm's law I should get 2.6 A for the current and I do: the multi-meter says 2.6 when set to 200m and the red probe in the 10A connector.

My question is how can I have 2.6 A in my circuit when the PSU says it's output is only 1A? Also, what is the 200m setting for on my multi-meter?

you won't get 2.6A.thre bulb'sresistance you measured is at room temp. once it heats up the resistance increases dramatically, thus reducing the curent accordingly.

you won't get 2.6A.thre bulb'sresistance you measured is at room temp. once it heats up the resistance increases dramatically, thus reducing the curent accordingly.
If I remove everything from the circuit and just put my meter around the positive and negative from the PSU, I still get more than 1A. Why is that?

When measuring current (A) the meter is shorting out the power supply when you connect from 12v to 0v
the power supply is probably current limiting and reducing the voltage to stop it overloading itself.

As above. It's a really common mistake that novices make. An ammeter should be connected in series with the load.

Luckily most ammeters have fuses. Otherwise it can be nasty when someone mistakenly connects one across a car battery to 'see how many amps it has got'.

Reply to Why is my power supply giving more than it says it should? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I would love some help understanding an issue I’m having on a 16mm SWA cable running from the CU in my house to the CU in the shed. I believe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am currently DIY upgrading a caravan with my girlfriend but need some advice. The (very old) 230VAC to 13.8VDC power supply broke down...
Replies
Views
I’m designing a light fixture for underwater lights and everything was going great until I checked for any current leakage. All I have is a...
Replies
Views
With apologies in advance for the newbie question... I'm using a multimeter to figure out the source of my battery drain, so attempting to measure...
Replies
Views
About 15 years ago, after having had a modern consumer unit fitted, and prompted by our electrician, I asked my then energy supplier (Tonik) if...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock