Discuss Will i get anything? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
Well i was working for a small company doing some subby work on price. The payments where always slow but they came in the end. I stopped working for the company

about mid december. They still owe me £1070.40 Gross. Ive kept on at them to pay.... This morning i get a letter from a insolvency company saying the directors have put the company into voluntary liquidation. Is there a way to get my money anyone else had to deal with this? Really fed up now :13:

You may get a percentage as an Unsecured creditor if you claim.

The percentage will be very low, otherwise the company would have kept trading.

A visit to your local CAB is required.

I think you will be viewed as a "creditor" and will come low down in the "pecking order" when it comes to payment. Rather worryingly I suspect they will have arranged a pre-pack liquidation which means they can walk away from their debts and start a new business. This is legal.

Your problems may not stop there - were they deducting tax from your payments? and if so do you have ANY confirmation that they paid anything to HMRC - as if they did deduct and did not pay HMRC, you'll need to pay HMRC "again"

Sorry mate.

The guy i Sub-contract off of has had this happen to him, He's owed nearly 3 grand and we've just learned that the same person who bumped him has just started a new business. something needs to be in place to stop this from happening!

I think you will be viewed as a "creditor" and will come low down in the "pecking order" when it comes to payment. Rather worryingly I suspect they will have arranged a pre-pack liquidation which means they can walk away from their debts and start a new business. This is legal.

Your problems may not stop there - were they deducting tax from your payments? and if so do you have ANY confirmation that they paid anything to HMRC - as if they did deduct and did not pay HMRC, you'll need to pay HMRC "again"

Sorry mate.

If that's correct that's the problem with cis as u can't guarantee they have paid it or going to pay it as generally its paid at the end of the year I believe. Why can't we all be paid in full and sort our own tax affairs out? That way when this does happen we don't have to pay twice if they go bump, although if u have proof it's been taken out on pay slips u would be fine anyway tbh

these barstewards that do this should be taken out and shot, or, better still, fed alive and feet first through an industrial mincer and sold to tesco to make up for the loss in horse meat .

I work as an electrical estimating company, limited and VAT registered, and about 18 months/ 2 years ago got taken for about £2.5k by a large M&E contractor. Lets say in the south.

They (the directors), started up again, straight away nearly the same name, same offices, more or less the same website. the updates from the liquidators stopped coming around 8 months ago. They went under owing £6 million!
Noticed on the new companies registration on the Companies House web check thing, that the new company was set up at around the same time my invoice went to the old company...

They had no intention of paying me, I think...

Putting them through an industrial mincer would be too slow...

Much too slow...

You just have to put it out of your mind...
Easier said, than done I know...

My £2.5k???? Gone...

But at least HMRC got their money...:hurray:

Sarcasm, will be the death of me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to try and look past it don't you :(

Yes, you do have to look past it...

It's hard, very hard...

It does jade your outlook on business a little...

The problem I find is, not letting the very few people who take you for money, affecting how you deal with the vast majority of people who pay up, and whose only "crime" might be dragging the heels a little, because their clients have been slow paying them...

Cash flow...

I did mean to say in my previous post, the mincer would be much too fast...

Much too fast...

Then again I was probably being sarcastic again...

The thing is the contract is binding, it's just that the company with who you have the contract, has no money to pay you or any of its other creditors, so the contract is worthless...

:) Thanks for replys. Ive spoken to HMRC and most of my tax has been paid thank god!! People like this need to be strung up by there bollox!! Well i just sent all the invoices and papper work to the liquidators i might even go to the meeting. :)

Hi guys
Well i was working for a small company doing some subby work on price. The payments where always slow but they came in the end. I stopped working for the company

about mid december. They still owe me £1070.40 Gross. Ive kept on at them to pay.... This morning i get a letter from a insolvency company saying the directors have put the company into voluntary liquidation. Is there a way to get my money anyone else had to deal with this? Really fed up now :13:

a lot of companies seem to do this, a company I used to work for folded as a "customer" went voluntary liquidation owing them £3.4M......80 + workers got made redundant...

Sorry mate.

happened to me before, got a demand letter, although not much and sorted it out myself.....I have seen it happen to other people before and one of them was a few £K......they generally send you a "I believe that you owe me" letter...if you get in contact with them (HMRC)right away i.e this week they will generally appreciate that and try to work something out, maybe even write off a portion if they can see for definite that it was not your fault.....get in touch with the insolvency service (gov department-find on google) and get in touch with their administrators (the notice will be online if you google the company name- it will come up with joe blogs ltd under administration by so and so LLP as it will be in the "industry" publications) then go in as an unsecured creditor, that way you will be legally recorded and it will be on file, you will then have a better case with any tax demands that might appear....even if you only get 50p from them you will be able to apply to get the future tax demand that may appear to be reduced or "dispenced" by the HMRC

I myself suffered this last year,jad 2 companies who went pop,fortunately managed to get paid from one as i knew they were going under,another went bust owing £700 not that much compared to some but if someone in the street wanted to theive that out of your wallet you would put up a fight,in our circumstances not much we can do,and when legal paperwork hits the doormat and says its £250 an hour to write a letter i run a mile,i was told that i might get a 1p in a £.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Reply to Will i get anything? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net