Discuss Wire nuts being sold in Lidl in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I always have a look at the DIY stuff when browsing in Lidl and I came across wire nuts. I wouldn’t buy them personally but are these actually permitted to be used in the UK? I can’t find any information on them that says whether BS:7671 allows them or not.
87D40244-B04E-4FE6-9EB6-941FAE0EBB28.jpeg

Some of the wholesalers also sell them. Definitely saw them in CEF.

Oh I see,
Some of the wholesalers also sell them. Definitely saw them in CEF.
Oh I see, I didn’t even realise as you don’t really tend to come across them that much unless it’s an old install
[automerge]1580685176[/automerge]
I believe they are ’allowed’ in the U.K.

but why would anyone bother with them

just grab some wagos
I thought so as I couldn’t find anything saying they can’t be used. I always use wagos they’re much better than connector blocks anyway

Obviously, they are allowed but I can't stand the idea. If, as with the old porcelain ones, they involve twisting the cores, they can't have a good affect stress wise.
Is it wire nuts for peanuts?

I wonder how many on here would pass comment on wirenuts without ever having used them for real? Good wirenuts can actually work rather well, but as mentioned they don't really have any advantages over other types of connectors that are in wider use over here. I don't like the uncertainty, when connecting more than two cables, about whether each of the conductors is equally well retained and connected.

Thankfully BS7671 isn't so prescriptive as to require or prohibit a particular kind of terminal. Regs differ; the NEC can be quite specific, stating for example how many of each size of conductor you can join with your wirenuts in each of thirty or so different sizes of junction box.

i think wire nuts were designed for stranded cable, where they worked quite well. not so good with solid conducrors.

Wire nuts are used extensively here in Spain. Every time i have had a problem with a lighting circuit it has been caused by faulty connections in wire nuts. I don't bother calling in the "electricista" these days. I just find the bad connection and wago it instead. Always plenty of slack in the JBs to trim and remake the connections.

Wire nuts are used extensively here in Spain. Every time i have had a problem with a lighting circuit it has been caused by faulty connections in wire nuts. I don't bother calling in the "electricista" these days. I just find the bad connection and wago it instead. Always plenty of slack in the JBs to trim and remake the connections.
why do you think we call them Fire nuts.

I wonder how many on here would pass comment on wirenuts without ever having used them for real? Good wirenuts can actually work rather well, but as mentioned they don't really have any advantages over other types of connectors that are in wider use over here. I don't like the uncertainty, when connecting more than two cables, about whether each of the conductors is equally well retained and connected.

Thankfully BS7671 isn't so prescriptive as to require or prohibit a particular kind of terminal. Regs differ; the NEC can be quite specific, stating for example how many of each size of conductor you can join with your wirenuts in each of thirty or so different sizes of junction box.
During my training, I remember distinctively being told that screwits were no longer permitted in the uk. Not sure if it is due to the fact that conductors need to be twisted together which is frowned upon?
I will have to dig out where it is in a reg somewhere...

I don't think they are banned, but with wagos about why would you use scruits. That said I think the modern American ones with springs inside a plastic case are better than the old British porcelain ones.

Reply to Wire nuts being sold in Lidl in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net