Discuss Wow!! Can anyone tell me what is going on with this old install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spark2be

This installation is under the stairs. The isolation switch on the left is for the lights of the property and the one on the right is for all ring mains. All the earthing wires from circuits seem to be wrapped around a screw in the top left of the unit, but there is no earthing connected to the incoming and there is a white wire wrapped around the pipe which runs in a panel of the stair case. I am not sure how old this installation is but earthing does not seem something that was considered.

CPU Pics 004.jpgCPU Pics 001.jpgCPU Pics 002.jpgCPU Pics 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry in advance for some of the pics being on the side.

Any ones take on this would be great. I think the house needs a complete re wire.

The wiring to the circuits looks like T&E?

I would say a new DB is required, but not essential as it would have complied when it was installed/ last rewired.

Why do you say it needs rewiring as we cant see the rest of the installation.

Would also apply to the DNO for a PME to be fitted.

Maybe I am jumping the gun with a re wire at least with the ring main circuits. The light drops are not earthed throughout the property and the earthing system needs updating.

What is a PME?

I forget to mention that's this is my property.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am college studying to become one so thought I would take a look at my own CPU. When I took the front plate off although I can see what is going on, I wanted the take of a qualified spark.

Im struggling to believe your at college studying to become an electrician. Youd be near the end of your first year at least by now and your terminology here is......dubious. Your sure your not just a homeowner trying to gleen info to do the upgrade on the cheap? (if i'm wrong btw, I appologise, but i'd expect my apprentices to at least have this knowledge level by now.)

That’s one of the best earths I’ve ever seen sweated to a cable. The wire to it will be an earth for an old telephone lightening protection box. As for the cables, get them tested out. You may be surprised.

I believe that the copper strapping cable clamps at the top was designed for the lead sheathed cabled that this board was probably installed with, the earthing back then was common to be tapped off gas and water pipes, its clear its been upgraded many years ago but without much attention to earthing. Its older than my experience so im open to anyone correcting me on the earthing strap at top of d.b.

An earthing strip like that would have been originaly used for lead sheathed cables. Looks like someone retained it for clamping T+E.

The wiring to the circuits looks like T&E?

I would say a new DB is required, but not essential as it would have complied when it was installed/ last rewired.

Why do you say it needs rewiring as we cant see the rest of the installation.

Would also apply to the DNO for a PME to be fitted.
This looks like a tns system and as Tony mentioned its got a sweated joint so don't get much better than that for tns, testing to this clamp will confirm it and no reason why a crimp lug 16mm cant be fitted without getting the DNO out, as goes the tailing and new board it may be the caes they have to come out anyway if upgrading.

I have no reason to lie to you, I don't know you. Maybe you place a higher degree of importance on your Internet image than myself. I am nearing the end of my first year in the EAL electric and electronic engineering course and I understand what is going on with this installation I just wanted a fully experienced spark to give me an opinion on it. I have very little experience and none at all of installs this old. I came on here for advice and I don't appreciate being called a lier.

If anyone else would like to give me thier opinions on the CPU it would be very much appreciated, I am just learning!!

I have no reason to lie to you, I don't know you. Maybe you place a higher degree of importance on your Internet image than myself. I am nearing the end of my first year in the EAL electric and electronic engineering course and I understand what is going on with this installation I just wanted a fully experienced spark to give me an opinion on it. I have very little experience and none at all of installs this old. I came on here for advice and I don't appreciate being called a lier.

If anyone else would like to give me thier opinions on the CPU it would be very much appreciated, I am just learning!!

Steady on old chap, don't think he was that harsh about you. Daz

I'm not offended lol I said I was in college, he said he did believe me. It does not matter any way I was just hoping to stear the thread away from me.

Thanks for your replies.

i knew if i asked for confirmation then someone who is old enough to remember them would step up. :tounge_smile:

We had a lot of "home made" boards like that in our companies head office. Polished mahogany cases. We would recable them and fit Red Spot fuse holders.

It was a nightmare fitting that in the cupboard under the stairs. And now I can't get RCBOs for it. Daz

Some of the plant boards were like that, without the case.

Head office still had the glass-fronted cutouts. While rummaging around in the bottom of the meter cupboard I found a meter readers card from the 30’s. “Buxton Bough Corporation Electricity Supply Company” 440V DC supply. The meter reader would record the new readings on the card for the two meters. I wish I’d kept it.

They are things of beauty, I love the instrumentation.
I've got a lovely big old GEC ammeter at home that I want to fix into my supply, need to make a nice wooden box to house it.

Reply to Wow!! Can anyone tell me what is going on with this old install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net