Discuss Proof that it is possible to install a BG CU tidily. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

While I agree with leaving length on cables (often far too much, on my part), I couldn't quite see the reasoning behind criticism of something that can't be seen. The first image in this thread (I guessed this was posted in response to comments in an other thread), shows old colours looped below the DIN rail - whether they extend an inch past it, or if metres are neatly stowed away, is anyone's guess.

What a mess...
I don't know if you're being serious or not.

I can see a few things that could have been better, but I wouldn't say a mess, the pic was to show the wire lengths that it has, it wasn't meant to be a show-piece.

Post #14

Last edited:
And no washers on the fixing screws , disgraceful !
I love those stainless bolts with Alan key and locking nut. :)
Not that it's ever going to carry a lot of current, as it's 80 ohm TT

And in my defence, it was a quick job in what's basically a big shed, it only has a 45 amp supply.

Last edited:
You say that but things change pretty quick at the moment, I have a rental property that had a new board fitted 2018, then had a new board to the side fitted because an electric car charger was fitted and was AC type RCD, it has no SPD and as said type AC RCD's, on refurbishment I am going to probably change it out so the car charger can be integrated into a new board, there is not enough space for SPD and car charger and even then changing RCD's to type A for some reason is stupidly expensive so will change to RCBO's.. So basically exactly the same as the first board you posted, you could not for example fit a new circuit for smoke alarms without installing and SPD (as its an emergency circuit), then there is AFDD's that may come in...

I have another property from 2003ish that needs replacing as has no RCD on lighting circuits and you cant get the RCD's for that make of board.. My point is with solar and car chargers and all the changes going on you can't rely on "Ill make the cables short but its ok cause it'll be a long long time before renewal is necessary again"...

Why just so you can show some picture on instagram, nobody cares, stop watching Jordan too expensive Artisan, sorry but its my pet peeve is cables unnecessarily short to "Look good", I even see it on sockets, then you go to fit a different manufacturer and you have to extend the conductors cause it wont fit... Maintenance is more important than looks, it should look neat as that makes it easier to maintain but it should also have enough slack for the next guy and the double insulation should come into the enclosure (Even if it makes it look not quite as pretty)..

Sorry but its my pet peeve electricians that show off their "pretty" consumer units with no consideration for the next guy, its poor workmanship. What I think makes a good electrician is when the guy comes in after you and says "Oh thank god the last guy did a good job and left enough slack for me, makes my life a lot easier."

Salty.

I love those stainless bolts with Alan key and locking nut. :)
Not that it's ever going to carry a lot of current, as it's 80 ohm TT

And in my defence, it was a quick job in what's basically a big shed, it only has a 45 amp supply.
In all honesty it's a very good job, it's very easy to find something to criticise when sitting in a chair at home. Based on all the CU installs I've seen you're definitely in the top 10%. :)

Reply to Proof that it is possible to install a BG CU tidily. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net