Discuss Wow!! Can anyone tell me what is going on with this old install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The wiring to the circuits looks like T&E?

I would say a new DB is required, but not essential as it would have complied when it was installed/ last rewired.

Why do you say it needs rewiring as we cant see the rest of the installation.

Would also apply to the DNO for a PME to be fitted.
DNO will charge for this.....just rod it....

That’s one of the best earths I’ve ever seen sweated to a cable. The wire to it will be an earth for an old telephone lightening protection box. As for the cables, get them tested out. You may be surprised.
yes exactly Tony.....how does the O/P know if it needs rewireing if no tests have been carried out?....

Sorry in advance for some of the pics being on the side.

Any ones take on this would be great. I think the house needs a complete re wire.

You mention ring mains,but with my not so perfect eyes,I only see radial circuits
icon11.png

The larger of the fuses may be where a cooker supply was intended

The board itself looks much the same as the old cabinet jobbies.one side incorporated the cut out off the lead sheath supply cable and the meter box,the other, the bank of fuses that are on view
I suspect though, by looking at the pictures, that this was always a stand alone unit.I see no sign of knockouts or openings on the sides where the meter cabinet would be located

The cables themselves seem to be in descent nick given the age
The earth stud and the mass of bolted cables was pretty common
At least it is modern enough not to have neutral fusing
All in all an old system that is seen less and less these days
icon14.png

Thanks for the offer, I'll be leaving the ancient clamp that's there as it is! :smiley2:
I got warned off messing with old lead sheathed supply cables years ago, leave that to the likes of you.

DNO will charge for this.....just rod it....

I would carry out a Ze test to the sheath. I can guarantee that the sweated on lug will give a trouble free connection to the lead, beautiful bit of sweating. If it is a good Ze reading ie less than 0.8 ohms i would use it to commect your main earthing conductor to.

Last edited:

Reply to Wow!! Can anyone tell me what is going on with this old install? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net