Discuss 1.5mm meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BigSpark

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening All,

I attended a job today to disconnect an Alarm System at a ground floor flat. On taking the consumer unit front off, discovered the incoming neutral tail to be 11 x 1.5mm single core cables which needless to say aren't all tight and secure in terminals. The incoming line looks to be 25mm 6181y albeit without the grey sheath. The main earth is 4 x what looks like 4mm solid core. They all come into the board in 1 grey sheath then split off.

Traced back, at some point in the flats roof it connects to an SWA ( point of connection is not accessible ) then back to a switch fuse with 80a fuse.

I dont think its an option to run any new cables ( which is my ideal method to sort issue) as its all in ceiling void with no obvious access but I am exploring this possibility with the flats owner/ building maintenance people.

The only option I can think that might help is heat shrink round the cables and ferrule the end but im not really happy with it.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas what's the thinking behind it? And what I can do make it safe?

20201113_165707.jpg

me too slow. time of day, well past beer o/clock. well that's my xcuse and i stand by it. rain or shine, and as zebeddee says,,, BOING< Time 4 bed.

Thanks guys, I had thought it might split concentric but have never worked with it so wasn't sure how it looks. Always thought it would be in a black XLPE sheath not grey twin and earth looking sheath. I may be wrong but is split concentric a non standard cable? And really only usually used by the DNO?

I would probably use a ferrule so they are all "as one" for wrangling.

I don't know if the insulated 16mm ferrule would accept the strands with insulation though, so it might be a simple uninsulated one and if necessary some heatshrink to avoid any exposed conductors if after crimping you find one of the little buggers has slipped back a bit.

I don't know if the insulated 16mm ferrule would accept the strands with insulation though, so it might be a simple uninsulated one and if necessary some heatshrink to avoid any exposed conductors if after crimping you find one of the little buggers has slipped back a bit.
Thanks PC1966. Appreciate the constructive reply. Il post a picture when it's all sorted ?

I was just about to ask how people wire all these 11 wires into something until you put this. I was going with the same idea as yours but then to add solder to it as well, so that you get a better bonding. Not sure if that's over the top...

Cant see any reason to get involved, no sign of thermal stress to those conductors. You were only there to disconnect something, Just make sure terminals are tight.

Cant see any reason to get involved, no sign of thermal stress to those conductors. You were only there to disconnect something, Just make sure terminals are tight.
Good customer, didnt have a lot of time as, like you said i only popped round to disconnect. Potential of loose neutral cables if they aren't tight and engaged properly. Not something I'd like to leave to chance but each to there own

I wouldn't worry, concentric and split concentric cable is used extensively by DNOs and they don't fit ferrules, just jam the conductors in the terminals.

Evening All,

I attended a job today to disconnect an Alarm System at a ground floor flat. On taking the consumer unit front off, discovered the incoming neutral tail to be 11 x 1.5mm single core cables which needless to say aren't all tight and secure in terminals. The incoming line looks to be 25mm 6181y albeit without the grey sheath. The main earth is 4 x what looks like 4mm solid core. They all come into the board in 1 grey sheath then split off.

Traced back, at some point in the flats roof it connects to an SWA ( point of connection is not accessible ) then back to a switch fuse with 80a fuse.

I dont think its an option to run any new cables ( which is my ideal method to sort issue) as its all in ceiling void with no obvious access but I am exploring this possibility with the flats owner/ building maintenance people.

The only option I can think that might help is heat shrink round the cables and ferrule the end but im not really happy with it.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas what's the thinking behind it? And what I can do make it safe?

View attachment 62156
Awful lot of copper on show in the mcbs

Amazing that I've probably changed 300+ consumer units. Attended 1000's of jobs so looked in nearly all of those consumer units. All jobs around the county Nottingham, Leeds, Stoke on Trent, Stafford, Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry, Derby, Northampton and never seen split concentric used at all. And only ever heard it used by DNO. Cray Cray

Amazing that I've probably changed 300+ consumer units. Attended 1000's of jobs so looked in nearly all of those consumer units. All jobs around the county Nottingham, Leeds, Stoke on Trent, Stafford, Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry, Derby, Northampton and never seen split concentric used at all. And only ever heard it used by DNO. Cray Cray
Me too. In 21 years I've only seen it once, when I mistakenly flagged it on an EICR.

Reply to 1.5mm meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net