Discuss DIY 10.8KW shower installation - Wiring up from CU to Shower - One Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

lknights1987

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to install a Mira Sports Max 10.8kw shower and wondered what size cable and fuse I need to use?

I live in a top floor flat with loft access so I plan to run the cable straight up into the lost from the fuse board and then back down into the bathroom ( approximately 6 metres of cable needed) .

Also am I right in saying that the supply cable should go straight to the pull switch and then I run another cable from the switch to the shower itself?

image0.jpeg IMG_3482 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hi @lknights1987 .
Should you be doing this job yourself?
Depending on where you live in the UK, this job will fall under Part P and will need notification to your local building control.
What size breaker are you fitting?
After this you should be able to calculate what size cable you need. Incorporating all the factors that come with this.
How will you be testing the circuit?
Who will issue the electrical cert?

As above, plus a couple of other things worth checking, the 6A circuit labelled ‘smoke detectors’ is not energised in the photo and the recommended EICR (periodic inspection) is seven years overdue. Worth following up on the latter with your landlord, if you’re renting.

As above, plus a couple of other things worth checking, the 6A circuit labelled ‘smoke detectors’ is not energised in the photo and the recommended EICR (periodic inspection) is seven years overdue. Worth following up on the latter with your landlord, if you’re renting.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I only moved into the flat a couple of months ago the previous owner rented out the flat privately and by the looks of it most of the work was done by cowboys and not tested for a long time ( both electrical and combi boiler).

As for installing the shower, I can do the work myself but I'll need a qualified sparky to commission the work.

In the photo you can see 2 circuits isolated, the smoke alarm and water heater. The smoke alarm only has cables going to it with no detector fitted so I've isolated it and the water heater was removed from the previous owner but left turned on at the circuit. The cowboys even left the water tank in the loft and all the pipes in the airing cupboard with wires sticking out.

Reactions: Dan
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I only moved into the flat a couple of months ago the previous owner rented out the flat privately and by the looks of it most of the work was done by cowboys and not tested for a long time ( both electrical and combi boiler).

As for installing the shower, I can do the work myself but I'll need a qualified sparky to commission the work.

In the photo you can see 2 circuits isolated, the smoke alarm and water heater. The smoke alarm only has cables going to it with no detector fitted so I've isolated it and the water heater was removed from the previous owner but left turned on at the circuit. The cowboys even left the water tank in the loft and all the pipes in the airing cupboard with wires sticking out.
Hi.

I try not to get too picky, but how can you say you can do the work and then ask what size cable and what breaker? That is the work.

I think you may mean that you can pull a piece of cable from the fuse box to a switch and then to a shower.

I'm not sure if you mean you'll notch/drill the joists in the correct places to avoid your house collapsing, test the work to see if it is earthed, insulation resistance meets the minimum, correct torque settings for such a high current install, correct switch, RCD testing times at x5, Main bonding in place and the correct size, and all the required paperwork, plus many more things that go along with electrical work rather than just getting it to switch on. My apologies if you did mean this ;)

Try and stay cool with your reply if you choose to do so:)

He is clearly doing the job. So let's stop quoting unenforced regulations and things now hey.

If you can't help the guy, don't reply to the thread. Move along.

The same few again always replying with terrible unhelpful posts.

It's sticking a shower in, not wiring up a nuke. If he's done it right in the end, he can notify BC, and I doubt they will come out they'll just sign it off, like they do. They're too busy come look at shower installations this time of year. :D

But if you can't help the OP. Don't reply. And perhaps nobody will ever then reply. But you unhelpful posts aren't helping.
[automerge]1571917345[/automerge]
You're welcome to post the job in our forum: Electrical Work Up For Grabs - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/electrical-work-up-for-grabs.196/

Ignore (and even report) unhelpful posts. And we'll clear up the thread for you.

Some electricians are a bit butthurt about sharing advice. I think because they think they'll not get such jobs and they make a killing on them, £200 for half a day?!?! PMLS. On your bike mate. :D

I'll be watching this thread.
[automerge]1571917682[/automerge]
Moved to the DIY forum. I've removed access from a couple of unhelpful people.

Last edited:
Back on topic people. If you don't want to help let me know and I'll remove your DIY access and we can let them get on with it.
[automerge]1571932569[/automerge]
If you can help the OP. Don't reply.

If you troll me, you will get banned.

Last edited:
A new thread for those still unsure about our stance on DIY advice:

@Dan I would say that posts guiding the poster to help protect their own safety are helpful in the general sense of the word.

Just because replies are not what the poster expected does not mean they are unhelpful.

Most posters that try to help diyers are making comment out of professional and moral duty and are not deliberately trying to be unhelpful.

I'm looking to install a Mira Sports Max 10.8kw shower and wondered what size cable and fuse I need to use?

Cable size needs to be calculated in accordance with the wiring regulations so we would need more information from you before being able to answer this.

Is it rated to 10.8kW at 230V or 240V? This affects the running current and therefore cable size.

Will the cable be run in thermal insulation? Will it be touching any other cables at any point and what will the ambient temperature be?

How do you plan to provide RCD protection for the shower?

Pull switch isolators can be quite troublesome so I would advise finding an alternative compliant location for an isolator.

Reply to DIY 10.8KW shower installation - Wiring up from CU to Shower - One Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net