Discuss 2nd fixing LED d/lights and J/boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, As some of you regulars know, I'm doing a one off new house install. I'm now in the process of 2nd fixing Ovia click LED d/lights. Over many weeks reading threads on here about 17th edition joint boxes being of the correct type so as no strain on terminals if cable pulled etc. It does surprise me though when fixing/ connecting the light fittings that the cables (up to 3 x cables @ each fitting) can be connected into the click connector block without any cable clamp to restrain the cables. The click connecting block have 3 x cables entries points, however any cable points that are not used are just left open, no knock outs or blanking off method. Not only that the cables are loose from the ceiling when connecting and then just pushed up through the hole along with the floating joint box. In the loft space, as no insulation laid down as yet, it looks like a complete mess. What are your thoughts re the method of connecting these d/lighters and j/boxes?

Thanks for reply....Possibly I didn't make myself clear. I was using the manufactures click type connection unit supplied with each led fitting. What i was trying to do was compare the two types of j/boxes. It would appear that there is more importance / safety features placed on every day j/boxes than the ones supplies with LED d/light fittins

Sorry my mistake, you on about these type of plugs?

http://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produc...ource=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&p=1

You get click connectors with or without cable restraints. The ones without restraints are not suitable for "floating" connection as regards the regs.

Oh I haven't used them personally, I've seen them tho and always thought they had a mechanism to grip the cable. I like the Ashley junction box that dillb put up but on the down lighters you have I take it you have no choice but to use the click connector. If they don't have a grip I don't see how they can comply.

Oh I haven't used them personally, I've seen them tho and always thought they had a mechanism to grip the cable. I like the Ashley junction box that dillb put up but on the down lighters you have I take it you have no choice but to use the click connector. If they don't have a grip I don't see how they can comply.
Thats my point, and especially as the cables can not be clipped. It does seem a step backwards.

Ahh just read the warranty small print. Light fittings sold to customer who is not an electrician (they knew that) and told him 7 year warranty, which is correct. But reading the application to register on line with info etc, you must supply your "approved installer license number" NICEIC, NAPIT or similar. I'm not a registered electrician so the way I'm reading this, I can't get the 7 year warranty! Possible phone call after the holidays to wholesalers/ manufactures. I've fitted about 20 upstairs and require another 30 downstairs, not if i don't get any warranties!

Hi Guys, As some of you regulars know, I'm doing a one off new house install. I'm now in the process of 2nd fixing Ovia click LED d/lights. Over many weeks reading threads on here about 17th edition joint boxes being of the correct type so as no strain on terminals if cable pulled etc.

Are they the Scholmore Interceptor Downlights? If so I wouldn't worry too much, fitted a few myself, quite popular luminaires. Most LED downlight manufactures are offering extended warranties now, but you have to be in a GASP scheme to afford your domestic customers the additional couple of years. The manufacturer wouldn't be confident in offering an extended warranty, regards of scheme membership. I suppose the manufacturer does this in the hope their product is installed correctly (i.e. these products should not be covered with insulation)

If you are concerned with the supplied connectors, you could replace the female part with the 'click' product CT102C (believe they are compatible)

If you are concerned with the supplied connectors, you could replace the female part with the 'click' product CT102C (believe they are compatible)

I prefer them as they have cable clamps, but the CT101C which doesn't have a restraint is far, far more common. In my opinion they do not comply.

Reply to 2nd fixing LED d/lights and J/boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net