Discuss 3 phase explosion in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A weird one but here we go.

I was asked to add a new 3ph circuit into an existing 6 way 3 phase dorma smith D.B. The board had to remain up and running ( not quite meeting the EAWR I know) so with the singles now in all I had to do was slide the 3ph breaker in the spare space 6L1-6L3.... This was where the explosion happened.

Everything was clear of the terminals, the new breaker was, just in case, switched off. As I pushed it onto the bare copper something caused 2 phases to come together resulting in me with temporary blindness, my hand completely black and ending up with me on the floor on the other side of the switch room.

The board and myself were in a bad way but once I was ok I began looking for explanations. The breaker wasn't bridged out which I had expected and nothing obvious stood out in the smoking D.B.
My foreman couldn't explain it either but he had heard of it happening before because of the air in a live board becoming 'ionized' therefore becoming conductive. Any spark caused by the breaker touching the busbar would have been enough to jump through the now conductive ionised air and bridge out to the next phase.

Has anyone else heard or come across this as I'm struggling to find a possible cause

Mark

Stupidity on your part for doing it live in the first place, if you worked for the company I work for you would have been sacked on the spot.

EAWR 14 comes to mind, if this was reported to the HSE expect to be making a visit to the man/lady with a white wig and black gown.

I'm gona stick my neck out here and admit that I regularly terminate new circuits onto live DB's. 99% of the time it's MG/shnieder gear but sometimes it's square D. I would refuse to work on some DB's live, if I thought there was danger.
I know I'm taking a risk when doing this, and it's one that I accept. I'm always careful and I understand the risks. Unfortunately shutdowns in my industry are a nightmare to get, and often have to be at midnight for critical plant, which nearly all of the DB's I work on.
As for EAWR, it uses the term "as far as is reasonably practical". This is down to interpretation, and something that lawyers will argue about.
Im happier doing the above work than I am using old ACBs!

I'm gona stick my neck out here and admit that I regularly terminate new circuits onto live DB's. 99% of the time it's MG/shnieder gear but sometimes it's square D. I would refuse to work on some DB's live, if I thought there was danger.
I know I'm taking a risk when doing this, and it's one that I accept. I'm always careful and I understand the risks. Unfortunately shutdowns in my industry are a nightmare to get, and often have to be at midnight for critical plant, which nearly all of the DB's I work on.
As for EAWR, it uses the term "as far as is reasonably practical". This is down to interpretation, and something that lawyers will argue about.

There's a big difference between terminating a circuit and installing a new MCB, John.
I wouldn't dream of killing a board for connecting a cable.
OK they are a thing of the past but I'd happily conect to open frame boards live, but I was shown how to do it safely.

OK they are a thing of the past but I'd happily conect to open frame boards live, but I was shown how to do it safely.
I had a very close call during my apprentiship with one of these boards.I should add, I wasn't working on the board I was cleaning in the sub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I include the fitting of MCBs in what I was describing Tony.
As I've said, I look at the job and make a decision on whether I feel I'm happy to do the job. The MG boards are brilliant bits if kit. I don't like SQ D cos I never feel like they make decent contact and they can arc a little of you knock em.

At the end of the day John we all know it's up to the electrician doing the job to call the shots. We’re each our own safety officer, never mind what “the management” think.
You’ve been in the game long enough to have influence on and the respect of the idiots that think they’re in charge. I’ll bet you’ve been in the same sticky situations as me where someone has had to put their foot down and say no. It doesn't make you the flavour of the month at the time, but no one can force the issue.
In the space of a week I’ve had a rollicking for working live and one for shutting a plant down. Just accept "you can't win" with them.

I think the bottom line is that we've all been there, to a greater or lesser extent. We've all exercised our own judgements on a situation, all done a job with one hand in our pocket....but those two comments contain 'judgement' and 'knowledge/experience'. It's not for the boys, just for those of us with a little grey hair. And the Electrical Trainee's can keep walking on past....nothing to see here.

sorry to say i installed a tp mcb live on thursday please dont shout at me with big scary CAPITALS i also drilled the DB and made the swa off as well!!!

So you lived to tell the tale

Your not coming asking us to exonerate you for making a monumental bog up of the job.
As far as I'm concerned, I would be questioning the competence of an electrician not capable of installing a circuit to a board without causing major upheaval.
It's a part of being a competent tradesman.
View attachment 14733

what a Numty definate short says a lot for Merlin gerain boards i think they call it safe Isolation ???????????????
lucky man told the story many have not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wit the MG isobar boards there is no chance of shorting two bars!! The board the OP was working on was a Dorman Smith board with exposed bars. You can't beat Schneider DB's, some may be equal, but never beaten.

Can you tell, that i like all things Schneider (MG)?? lol!!! That goes for both LV and MV equipment!!!

Ill echo this exact post.

That is all.:24:

Reply to 3 phase explosion in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net