Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss 400 Volt Single Phase Welder in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blueday

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi everyone,
A friend has bought a 400 volt single phase welder for his workshop and has asked me to install a supply and connect it up.

Having not seen the welder yet and never been involved with anything like this before could anyone enlighten me as to the supply for 400 volt single phase. Do I run a single phase supply to the welder and the welder steps the voltage up or do I require a 3-phase supply to the welder.
There is a 3-phase supply to the workshop.

Many thanks in advance.

Aico 3000 Range
T

Tiger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never heard of a 400v single phase welder, need more info. :confused:

G

Guest123

Agree with him on this ^^^ no such thing as 400V single phase. Must be 3 phase, double check the plate on the welder small ones usually 40A single phase 230V. Larger ones 3 phase 415V.

Possibly 3P inverter needed.

Cheers.

P

poheZ

i think you mean you have a single phase supply?

In which case you need need a transformer/inverter to change the supply to 400v 3 phase and then run a supply to welder (as 3 phase) after that.

B

Blueday

Thanks for all the replies.

Mate is convinced it says 400 volt single phase.

After a quick search on Google I came up with this, don't think its the same welder;

BLUMIG 283C 280amp MIG Welder
Heavy duty three phase compact MIG/MAG machine, with 4 roll industrial feed system. Features include Electronic Auto Adjust for ease of set up, 2/4 torch latching, large robust casing, burn back and slope up control. Ideal for production heavy maintenance and fabrication. 400 volt Input, 16 amp, Welding Current Range 35 - 280 amps, Duty Cycle @ 40% 250amps, 10 Welding Steps, Wire Sizes 0.6 -1.2mm.
415 volt Single phase

T

Tiger

Thats clear as mud :D states 3 phase and single in the same sentance

Hi everyone,
A friend has bought a 400 volt single phase welder for his workshop and has asked me to install a supply and connect it up.

Having not seen the welder yet and never been involved with anything like this before could anyone enlighten me as to the supply for 400 volt single phase. Do I run a single phase supply to the welder and the welder steps the voltage up or do I require a 3-phase supply to the welder.
There is a 3-phase supply to the workshop.

Many thanks in advance.
could be american.I think you would be safer taking a look at it yourself,you might be able to better google your info then.But if you are in uk you will need at least 2 phases to get your 400volts,unless you have a step up tranny.But as Benji says its most likely 2phase.

G

Guest123

Yes, apologies I meant converter. Dont know were I got inverter from:eek::eek:

K

KathrynLeng

Thanks for all the replies.

Mate is convinced it says 400 volt single phase.

After a quick search on Google I came up with this, don't think its the same welder;

BLUMIG 283C 280amp MIG Welder
Heavy duty three phase compact MIG/MAG machine, with 4 roll industrial feed system. Features include Electronic Auto Adjust for ease of set up, 2/4 torch latching, large robust casing, burn back and slope up control. Ideal for production heavy maintenance and fabrication. 400 volt Input, 16 amp, Welding Current Range 35 - 280 amps, Duty Cycle @ 40% 250amps, 10 Welding Steps, Wire Sizes 0.6 -1.2mm.
415 volt Single phase

Thanks for your information.
I really appreciate for giving this information.
I expect you will also give this type of information in future.
you will also find me at my site [below]
Thanks Once Again!!!!!!!

S

Spectric

Hi there

I own a 300 amp Tig welder, it is rated at 415 volts & is connected across two of the phases . There is a lot of welding equipment that is wired like this due to the current demand.

Roy

M

mikeohms

You have been mislead by many of us whose theoretical knowledge is a bite rusty. Let this be known to everyone you can derive 400v single phase to feed a load from a 3phase supply
For Single phase 230v any of your phase i.e. Gray Black Brown and neutral = Single phase 230v
However to derive Single phase 400v = connecting gray and black without the neutral to the Load
This is still single phase because one of the cable is acting as neutral i.e. a return path back to the substation I hope this helps. Your Voltage 400v is only derived from one cable at any point in time that why its called single phase but taken from a 3 phase supply
There is nothing wrong with the wording on the welder specifications its very correct its is a single phase 400V welder full stop it couldn't be more correct there will only be two point to connect input cable into it for your x2 phase cable from your 3 phase supply. Pls note your neutral is not part of your phase cable.
Balancing your supply is another matter entirely!!!!!!!!!

G

Guest123

Ok, but you still need two PHASES to get 400V so in my opinion it should be described as 2 Phase.

Only my take on it.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to 400 Volt Single Phase Welder in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom