Discuss 5 week short courses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So is it possible to be a fast-food worker or an office worker and then go on a 5 week course and come out the other end proclaiming to be an electrician.
In addition to that should you be allowed to do a 5 week course and immediately go self employed.
Is it safe to do a 5 week course then immediately be let loose on the public.

In my opinion if you insist on doing a 5 week course it should be compulsory to work for a company under a competent electrician for at least 3-5 years before becoming self employed.

5 weeks!!! It took me longer than that to learn to swim.

So how is this compulsory employment going to work then? Are firms going to be forced to take people on who are seeking to become electricians?

The fact that the term ‘electrician ‘ is not a recognised licensed profession with recognised licensed qualifications means that anyone who’s done some kind of short course can call themselves one I’m afraid.
It does kinda take the ---- when you’ve done a 4 year apprenticeship and added qualifications such as BS7671 and inspection and testing and worked hard to be able to call yourself an electrician.
Nothing against people coming into the trade without an apprenticeship, but short courses are ridiculous.

Last edited:
They're just gonna make the rest of us look good!
Yes you could probably be right. We got a lot of good lads out of training programme that would not otherwise of had the opportunity to get an apprenticeship.
There is a lot of untapped talent out there .
One of our lads won the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

Last edited:
Yes you could probably be right. We got a lot of good lads out of training program that would not otherwise of had the opportunity to get an apprenticeship.
There is a lot of untapped talent out there .
One of our lads won the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
How do you get a job as the Duke of Edinburgh

Aye..….but some of these Electrical Trainee's are nearly as old as us, rus!!;)
Yes you are right . I still see the one that won the award . He trained in the machine shop and ended up an engineer
He is and was badly disabled when he started with us. He had a heart like lion.

Any industry that allows people to trade under schemes like the NICEIC after a five week course in people’s homes but those same people Would not be allowed on a building site doing the same job is a broken industry.

Any industry that allows people to trade under schemes like the NICEIC after a five week course in people’s homes but those same people Would not be allowed on a building site doing the same job is a broken industry.
Would you say, that it’s more or less broken now, than before, when you didn’t need to do any course or have any qualifications and MFT was the name of a kitchen supplier?

At least you didn't get loads of people masquerading as 'qualified' with various organisations offering them the chance to.....and labelling them as such.

Thing is no amount of training accounts for stupidity amd chancers. I have known fully qualified sparks who i wondered if they could change a plug! How they got through the am2 is a miracle in itself. Have met labourers who could teach many a folk a thing or two. Being ex forces I know several who have gone down the 5 week route which coupled with there military training in say engineering of some sort they are very good and adept at what they do. Meticulous to detail and like the regs. Truth be told I dont have the nvq3 but have 2365 2/3 and other qualifications. Not technically an electrician on that basis but at the end of the day it comes down to knowing your limits we all choose an area be it house bashing. Commercial or industrial. Work within them. Think about what you are doing and always be open to learn more as there will always be something you dont know. If you bite off more than you can chew it will bite you in the backside.

Must admit I do cringe when someone posts ‘Newley Qualified’ . I’m one of those who’s done the short intensive courses and recently started 2365 at college even though some of it is more basic than some of the level three stuff I’ve already passed. I’ve recently been signed off as a domestic installer by Elecsa but as far as I’m concerned it just makes you more aware of your limitations. Having spent the last six months plus renovating my house I can safely say I’ve made a few small f**k ups but they have been invaluable learning experiences. Goes back to the previous threads in respect of the lack of incentives businesses have to take on apprentices.

So is it possible to be a fast-food worker or an office worker and then go on a 5 week course and come out the other end proclaiming to be an electrician.
In addition to that should you be allowed to do a 5 week course and immediately go self employed.
Is it safe to do a 5 week course then immediately be let loose on the public.

In my opinion if you insist on doing a 5 week course it should be compulsory to work for a company under a competent electrician for at least 3-5 years before becoming self employed.

5 weeks!!! It took me longer than that to learn to swim.

Is it possible? Yes. It is (whether you like it or not) a recognised route into the industry.

Should you be allowed to go self-employed? This ties in to 'Is it safe?'.

What you've not considered is someone's relevant experience.

If said individual has sufficient knowledge and understanding, and is cognisant of their limitations then I see no reason why someone shouldn't set themselves up in business.

I did.

Should everyone who goes on a short course do this? Hell no.

Since setting up my business, I've gone back to college and have successfully passed on the level 3 exams and the week before Christmas I went and took the AM2 which I passed, so all I have left to complete is my NVQ3 portfolio and a written project paper.

Will I then be worthy of the title 'electrician'? Although to be fair, an electrician is someone who installs and maintains electrical equipment... I do that every day, so I'm an electrician.

Your route into the industry does not decide whether you're going to be any good, it's what's going on in your head that decides that.

I'd also like to point out, I can remember seeing some cracking questions on here from industrial/commercial sparks having their first go at house bashing and no one really bats an eyelid. But a short courser pops up with a question and suddenly they are incompetent and shouldn't be allowed to work in peoples home.

One thing I’ve come to realise in like is that -------- does baffle brains. There are those that know how and those that know why. The world tends to be governed by the bullshites who use the doers to their own ends. More fool me!

Reply to 5 week short courses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock