Discuss Advice please. I called a Solar PV company looking for work.............. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Striker

Can you please advise.

I have recently passed my MCS, setup a company etc etc. I was just about to start advertising then.......The announcement on Monday. Gutted. All the suppliers I was talking to now have no stock so.........

I called a Solar PV company looking for work, they offered me a commissioning roll.

They said all there installations are carried out everything is in place all they want me to do is test, commission and issue minor works certificate and MCS certificate using my company details!

I don't think I can do this, can I?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I wouldn't do what they are asking, you might end up being liable for work you can't check.

We will probably have to sub out some of our work, but we will take responsibility for it, and issue the MCS - the subs will need to be able to supply the electrical test certificate like any domestic job.

Where are you based?

Personally, I wouldn't do what they are asking, you might end up being liable for work you can't check.

Where are you based?

Thats what I'm concerned about, hence the question. To be honest I've spent a considerable amount of time and money getting to this stage with no returns. I really need to earn something but using my MCS to sign off there work! Currently I will not renew MCS and REAL in January. I dont want to do an install and leave my customers with no ongoing support.

Guys thanks for the offer, I'm based in York.

Cheers Andy

Sorry Striker - we are pretty much as far away from you as is possible. South Coast/I.O.W.

I feel for you,
I quit my job in March, because i wanted to join the family business mainly PV - large scale mainly.

Used to work on all manner of power plants, coal, gas, nuclear, wind, hydro. But quit to do this. Big pipeline of projects built up and knocked down in May, re-evaluated business and a second pipeline of projects knocked down last week.

We'll renew MCS (mainly cause of the installations we have done), but we'll be scaling back, and pretty much eliminating fixed costs. i'll be working on the coal and gas while the market picks up. I can't afford another set back. Invested alot more than spent.

So do I turn down the work, and let another company do it whilst I sit at home looking for work?
If I accept the offer to sign off these installs are you saying buck stops with me not the company that installed them!

Reply to Advice please. I called a Solar PV company looking for work.............. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net